Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Brown Archives

What's Going On at the RISD Museum?

By caitlinmeuser
September 21, 2014 - 10:46am

The RISD Museum is truly a great resource for us Brown students. Not only is it a mere three-minute walk from the Main Green, but it’s also free with a student ID. The RISD boasts an impressive collection that includes Monet, Cezanne, Warhol, Van Gogh… the list really goes on and on. While all of these artists are part of the permanent collection, the temporary fall exhibit has just opened up featuring works not normally seen at the museum.   READ MORE

Battle Hymn of the Wise Fools

By Julianna Bradley
September 20, 2014 - 2:24pm

The sophomore slump is nothing new. It’s talked about, dreaded, and avoided like the Ratty whenever it makes fish. The sophomore slump hits when you no longer have the gusto to make new friends, do any school work, and every attempt to go to the gym ends in a 3 hour long nap. I don’t really believe in this said slump. But then again I’ve been a sophomore for, like what, 2 weeks? READ MORE

Why Autumn is Undeniably the Best Season

By Devon Nir
September 18, 2014 - 2:29pm

I’ll admit it—I had my doubts about the fall.   Growing up, I was always a big advocate for winter. I believed that surely between snowfall, hot chocolate, and warm fireplaces, winter was the undisputed champion when it came to the four seasons. Sure, I would concede, summer had its perks: the beach, the free time, and the barbecues. But those delights were nothing compared to the majestic joy of the holiday season and the thrill of making a perfect snow angel.   READ MORE

Welcome Back, Brown Town

By Devon Nir
September 14, 2014 - 10:35am

Well folks, that time of year has come around once more. It feels like just yesterday that we were handing in our final papers and boxing up our belongings, but believe it or not, September is in full swing here at Brown University. The freshman have made their treks through the Van Wickle Gates, seniors have already begun counting down to graduation, and I’ve had my long awaited Jo’s grilled cheese. I guess you could say school is really back in session.   READ MORE

How To: Grocery Shopping for Smart Collegiates

By caitlinmeuser
September 14, 2014 - 10:35am

It turns out that being completely off meal plan is a scary reality to face. It means no more late night trips to Jo’s, no take-out from the Ratty to power you through a difficult midterm paper, and no more grabbing muffins from the Blue Room before a morning class. However, while being off meal plan means you can no longer get a spicy with and a side of mozzarella sticks any time you want, it also means that you can be completely in control of what you’re eating. You no longer have to worry if the Ratty and the Vdub’s dinner options both seem lacking. Instead, you can eat what you want… provided you had enough foresight to stock your fridge with all the necessary ingredients.   READ MORE...

Jess and Rachel Take On the World

By Devon Nir
June 10, 2014 - 8:13pm

Last month, Brown University said goodbye to the class of 2014 as the eager, enthusiastic graduates accepted their diplomas and readied themselves to enter the infamous “real world.” These former students will scatter across the globe in search of their next step, whether it be finding suitable employment right here in Providence or exploring an unfamiliar city in an entirely different continent.     READ MORE

April Showers Bring May Flowers

By Isabelle Thenor-Louis
May 5, 2014 - 12:00am

Although it is spring, you know that April showers, May showers, June Showers, July Showers, and August showers will keep on coming in Providence. Rain and Providence are best friends. This is a friendship that I don’t see ending for a very long time. But, you know, that’s okay! When the raindrops keep on falling, you’ll be prepared. If you are looking for a step above those plain black umbrellas, look no farther than this list! Also, shout out to Target for the beautiful prints and wallet friendly prices!   Totes Novelty Bubble Umbrella, $16.99   READ MORE

Spring Weekend 2014: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

By Devon Nir
April 19, 2014 - 12:00am

Spring weekend has come and gone, and though some are probably still recovering from a nasty hangover, campus is just about back to its old self again. The three-day event was indeed legendary, featuring artists such as Chance the Rapper, Diplo, Lauryn Hill, and Andrew Bird (not to mention Binder!). It was absolutely incredible to see such a unique, diverse collection of students throw on tank tops and come together to enjoy some music and the company of others. Here’s to you, Brown.   But, now that the festivities have come to a close, it’s time to go all Joan Rivers and talk about the bests and worsts that the weekend had to offer. It’s true that overall it was a Spring Weekend to remember, but perhaps there are some details worth forgetting.  ...

The 11 Friends Everyone Has-- As Told By Kristin Wiig

By Julianna Bradley
April 18, 2014 - 12:00am

1. The Closet Diva   This friend will spend an hour on her make-up then pretend she doesn’t know what bronzer is. When she wants to go—we go. When she wants to leave—we leave. Her #1 fear is that her resting bitch face will wash away and reveal just how much of a pre-Madonna she is. But we still love her.   2.  The “I’ll support you through literally everything” friend READ MORE

Art for the Fun of It

By caitlinmeuser
April 13, 2014 - 12:00am

It is a fact that our society values productivity. As cogs in the wheel of the capitalist market, we as citizens are supposed to be producing and consuming at a steady rate. We are supposed to use our free time to learn and create new things, to create things of value that can be used to make a profit. But what happens when we want to create something just for the fun of it? READ MORE