Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Brown Archives

The Best Sport Ever

By Aubrey McDonough
October 29, 2014 - 3:21pm

About seven months ago, I was sitting in a freshman lounge doing reading for my religion class (read: obsessively stalking this girl from high school on Facebook), when my friend turned to me and said something that changed my life: “You should try out for frisbee.” Okay, you’re probably laughing. I’m even chuckling to myself as I write this. Either that, or you’re incredibly skeptical, or you’re thinking I’m just being dramatic. And I might be. Maybe I wouldn’t label that moment as one of the most drastic happenings in my entire life, but I stand by the fact that it made me realize something pretty cool I hadn’t known before.   READ MORE

Get Everything You Need to Know about Law School at the LSAC Law School Forum

By Brown Contributor
October 29, 2014 - 12:03pm

Figuring out what you want to do after college can be stressful, especially when you are trying to decide between a ton of options! Since you’re all ambitious, proactive collegiettes, we know that you’ve already joined the clubs, landed the internships and done the research to try and narrow down the opportunities. If you plan on going to law school, or have even toyed with the idea of law school, we have another research opportunity for you. Every year, the Law School Admission Council (LSAC) hosts Law School Forums across the country, and you have the chance to attend one in Boston this month! READ MORE

GELT Trip

By caitlinmeuser
October 27, 2014 - 11:46am

Did you know there are new classes at Brown that combine classroom study with real world travel experience? I didn’t until my dad pointed out a flyer for an art history class that involves a fully funded, one-week trip to Europe in June. Sounds too good to be true, right? Wrong. GELT is a new program Brown is offering that allows students to visit the culture and setting they’ve been studying to meet with natives of that specific country. Due to the high expenses of running such a program, each GELT class is capped at twelve students. Students interested have to go through a competitive application process before they are able to register for the class. This application process ensures that the students who will benefit most from the class are able to...

What's Going On at the RISD Museum?

By caitlinmeuser
September 21, 2014 - 10:46am

The RISD Museum is truly a great resource for us Brown students. Not only is it a mere three-minute walk from the Main Green, but it’s also free with a student ID. The RISD boasts an impressive collection that includes Monet, Cezanne, Warhol, Van Gogh… the list really goes on and on. While all of these artists are part of the permanent collection, the temporary fall exhibit has just opened up featuring works not normally seen at the museum.   READ MORE

Battle Hymn of the Wise Fools

By Julianna Bradley
September 20, 2014 - 2:24pm

The sophomore slump is nothing new. It’s talked about, dreaded, and avoided like the Ratty whenever it makes fish. The sophomore slump hits when you no longer have the gusto to make new friends, do any school work, and every attempt to go to the gym ends in a 3 hour long nap. I don’t really believe in this said slump. But then again I’ve been a sophomore for, like what, 2 weeks? READ MORE

Why Autumn is Undeniably the Best Season

By Devon Nir
September 18, 2014 - 2:29pm

I’ll admit it—I had my doubts about the fall.   Growing up, I was always a big advocate for winter. I believed that surely between snowfall, hot chocolate, and warm fireplaces, winter was the undisputed champion when it came to the four seasons. Sure, I would concede, summer had its perks: the beach, the free time, and the barbecues. But those delights were nothing compared to the majestic joy of the holiday season and the thrill of making a perfect snow angel.   READ MORE

How To: Grocery Shopping for Smart Collegiates

By caitlinmeuser
September 14, 2014 - 10:35am

It turns out that being completely off meal plan is a scary reality to face. It means no more late night trips to Jo’s, no take-out from the Ratty to power you through a difficult midterm paper, and no more grabbing muffins from the Blue Room before a morning class. However, while being off meal plan means you can no longer get a spicy with and a side of mozzarella sticks any time you want, it also means that you can be completely in control of what you’re eating. You no longer have to worry if the Ratty and the Vdub’s dinner options both seem lacking. Instead, you can eat what you want… provided you had enough foresight to stock your fridge with all the necessary ingredients.   READ MORE...

Welcome Back, Brown Town

By Devon Nir
September 14, 2014 - 10:35am

Well folks, that time of year has come around once more. It feels like just yesterday that we were handing in our final papers and boxing up our belongings, but believe it or not, September is in full swing here at Brown University. The freshman have made their treks through the Van Wickle Gates, seniors have already begun counting down to graduation, and I’ve had my long awaited Jo’s grilled cheese. I guess you could say school is really back in session.   READ MORE

Jess and Rachel Take On the World

By Devon Nir
June 10, 2014 - 8:13pm

Last month, Brown University said goodbye to the class of 2014 as the eager, enthusiastic graduates accepted their diplomas and readied themselves to enter the infamous “real world.” These former students will scatter across the globe in search of their next step, whether it be finding suitable employment right here in Providence or exploring an unfamiliar city in an entirely different continent.     READ MORE

April Showers Bring May Flowers

By Isabelle Thenor-Louis
May 5, 2014 - 12:00am

Although it is spring, you know that April showers, May showers, June Showers, July Showers, and August showers will keep on coming in Providence. Rain and Providence are best friends. This is a friendship that I don’t see ending for a very long time. But, you know, that’s okay! When the raindrops keep on falling, you’ll be prepared. If you are looking for a step above those plain black umbrellas, look no farther than this list! Also, shout out to Target for the beautiful prints and wallet friendly prices!   Totes Novelty Bubble Umbrella, $16.99   READ MORE