Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Brown Archives

Art for the Fun of It

By caitlinmeuser
April 13, 2014 - 12:00am

It is a fact that our society values productivity. As cogs in the wheel of the capitalist market, we as citizens are supposed to be producing and consuming at a steady rate. We are supposed to use our free time to learn and create new things, to create things of value that can be used to make a profit. But what happens when we want to create something just for the fun of it? READ MORE

A Little Bit of Perspective

By Devon Nir
April 8, 2014 - 12:01am

This spring break, I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to visit two of my closest friends at Villanova University in Pennsylvania. They showed me around campus, took me to a local eatery for dinner, and introduced me to some of their new friends. It was wonderful to reunite with them after being apart for almost a year, and I’m so glad that we were all able to take time out of our busy schedules to just be together for a couple of hours.   READ MORE

Fashion and Feminism

By Isabelle Thenor-Louis
April 1, 2014 - 12:00am

A few weeks ago, I wrote about a few key pieces that you should have in your closet during this interview season. While writing this post, it seemed like a no-brainer. I believe that every professional woman should have a work appropriate outfit that screams, “I’m the boss.” Yet, I failed to unpack something extremely important. Since we live in an unfortunately patriarchal society, the way a woman dresses professionally is always political. I recently read an article featuring the lovely Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, a Nigerian writer. If you haven’t read any of her books, you have probably heard her drop knowledge on Beyoncé’s Flawless. READ MORE

Spring Weekend Tanks In Style

By Isabelle Thenor-Louis
April 1, 2014 - 12:00am

Spring Weekend is fast approaching, which means that lots of tanks are being printed. Also, with Chance The Rapper, Diplo, and Lauryn Hill (!) coming to town, we all want to look our best as we live it up. If you are looking for a few creative ways to wear your tank, I’ve got you covered.   1) Cut it into a crop top and pair it with some high waisted jeans or shorts! Easy, breezy, and beautiful! Crop tops are heavenly, especially at those cramped and sweaty parties.      READ MORE

Confessions of a Sorority Girl

By Julianna Bradley
March 22, 2014 - 12:00am

I didn’t go to Brown to go Greek. To be honest, I went to Brown to avoid going Greek. The pink tank tops, the pools of estrogen, and the endless hours of girl flirting never quite fit my picture of the ideal college experience. The school year began with a Facebook newsfeed plastered with smiling girls making an array of hand gestures, sporting flowery headbands and Greek letters. It was fun to see who was a DG or a Theta or a Tri-delt or a whatever—but to be honest, I didn’t really care. Everyone seemed convinced they loved their big who they met ten seconds before and everyone seemed to think “grand-big” was a real word. Which it wasn’t. READ MORE

The Intersection of Poetry and Opera

By caitlinmeuser
March 21, 2014 - 12:00am

This past weekend I had to pleasure of experiencing Brown Opera Productions’ first showing of Hydrogen Jukebox. This opera is based off the beat poet Allen Ginsberg’s works, and the title Hydrogen Jukebox is taken from Ginsberg’s famous poem “Howl”. All the songs in the opera are just Ginsberg’s poems set to music, yet Ginsberg did not write these poems together in the hopes that they would become an opera. Instead, the composer, Philip Glass, witnessed a reading by Ginsberg and was so inspired by the poet’s work that he felt the need to take some of his favorite Ginsberg’s poems and set them to an opera style of music. This creates for a show that has no distinct narrative, as Ginsberg did not mean to have these poems performed together....

A (Musical) Blast From the Past

By Devon Nir
March 19, 2014 - 12:00am

If you were anything like me, you spent most of the early to mid 2000s jamming out to some exceptionally dorky (yet undeniable catchy) tunes. You had your calendar marked for Hilary Duff’s next album release and would proudly sing along to anything by the Click Five. Your most prized possession was your Jonas Brothers tote bag and watching High School Musical when it came on Disney Channel was not merely an option, but a necessity.   READ MORE

Women in Film

By caitlinmeuser
March 9, 2014 - 10:26pm

A recent study was released this week that found a disturbing gender gap when it came to the films nominated for this year’s Academy Awards.  The men nominated for best actor in a leading role averaged 85 minutes of screen time while the women nominated for best actress in a leading role averaged only 57 minutes of screen time. This trend continues when supporting actors and actresses are considered. If you factor in supporting roles, then men spend an average 59 minutes on screen while women average 42 minutes. While this is only a 17-minute difference, it demonstrates the male-dominated nature of the silver screen.   READ MORE

Call Me Crazy

By Julianna Bradley
March 9, 2014 - 12:00am

Girls are bizarre. We make absolutely no sense. One moment we’re dancing in front of the mirror to some nameless Taylor Swift song and the next we’re face down on the floor contemplating the meaning of life. Girls are strange, unpredictable, volatile—but not crazy.  READ MORE

Statement Sunglasses

By Isabelle Thenor-Louis
March 9, 2014 - 12:00am

When I stepped outside, I was shocked. The air was warm. The sun was shining. I wasn’t cold. Could this be the springtime I have been waiting for? Hopefully, old man winter has realized that his time has come and gone. I don’t know about you but I’m ready to put on some stunner shades! So, here are some statement sunglasses to celebrate the coming of this wonderful weather.   1. If you want a flashback to the past, channel the 50’s era with cat eye sunglasses. But, to add an extra flair, try some patterned versions of this look. Personally, I love these sunglasses because they are so iconic. When I see a woman wearing this look, I can’t help but visualize the classiest actresses of that time.    READ MORE...