sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Broward chapter.

YAY for Periods!!!! When was the last time you were excited over getting your period, I bet never?  Well, I have some good news that will hopefully get you excited the next time you do get your period.

Did you know that getting your period is a sign that your body is in sync and it is doing what it’s supposed to do. Which is an indicator of good health.  If you didn’t get the memo, you are beautiful and freaking awesome.  Your period tells you this every month.  People with weight problems get irregular periods or they stop entirely. People who struggle with obesity have weird cycles because of fat that’s accumulating estrogen. People who are too thin have irregular or absent periods also.  

You ever wonder why women live longer than men, well this maybe one reason.  Women age more slowly than men and due to the iron lost through menstruation.  Let’s face it, we all love that feeling when you just stepped out of the shower, clean and refreshed. Every month your body tidies up a bit, discharging bacteria from the reproductive system and allowing your body to eradicate excess iron, lowering your risk of Alzheimer’s, cardiovascular disease and stroke.  

It’s true what they say, when you feel good you look good.  When you get your period it also comes with some nasty side effects like bloating, hormonal acne, fatigue, food cravings, sore breasts and much more. Around day three or four a hormonal formula kicks in and triggers a significant improvement in how you feel and look.  So maybe we shouldn’t be dissing aunt flow each month. She is just looking out for our best interest.  

Daughter, sister, best friend, feminist, vegan, animal lover, adventure seeker and student, not in that order. 
Ana Cedeno is a journalism major and campus correspondent for Broward College. Originally from Guayaquil, Ecuador, she immigrated to the United States when she was twelve years old and continued her education in the sunny, politically contradictory, swamp state of Florida. She has since been published by both her college newspaper and the online grassroots journalism publication Rise Miami News. A fan of literature since age 6, she's an enthusiast of language and making her opinion known, while still hearing out the other side and keeping an open mind for growth.