What to Consider When Transferring to a University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Broward chapter.

Why is college so stressful? If college is so stressful, why do millions of people continue to attend? Besides the occasional (or frequent, who’s counting) party, and making amazing friends, education is the way to making a living in this capitalist regime. On a serious note, you are a road to your future. What does it look like? Planning is key, and getting the education you need to succeed is important. Broward College, in years of late, has become a four-year institution—but with limited four-year majors. So, once you achieve your astounding Associate’s degree, the next step is likely transferring to a university. 

When thinking about where to plan your latter college days, most students consider location, price, and availability of major. These are all very essential, not to mention indispensable details to regard, but there are always hidden aspects that students forget (or are oblivious of) when making college/career decisions.  Broward College advisor Tameara Guess was so kind as to give quite the advice for transferring students. The following is some great advice from hers truly!

Are You Taking the Right Classes? College can be fun if you pick ‘easy’ and ‘fun’ electives. And of course, it can be easy to forget that you need to meet certain requisites for your degree/major. Most people are pretty responsible, but not everyone is aware of the resources available to them. If you plan on transferring next semester or within the next year, give your degree audit a look. Broward College offers a degree audit for students to view to ensure they are on track for graduation. If you log into myBC, you’ll find an option labeled “Display Interactive Degree Audit” under the Advising tab. There you can choose the degree/major you currently seeking at BC, press “Degree Process”, and there you have it: everything you need to know about requirements, graduation status, ect.. Additionally, if your transfer major is selected along with the institution you plan to transfer to, the degree audit will provide information regarding the appropriate university pre-requisites you should be including as part of the general education requirements and/or electives.

If you have any questions, contact an Academic Advisor—or better yet, set up an appointment to discuss your situation.

How, When, Where to Apply? The next step, according to Guess, is to familiarize yourself with the admissions process of your intended transfer institution. Deadlines, recommendation forms, transcripts, other application requirements…in other words, what do you need to do to apply and apply in time? Some informational resources include the institution’s admission website and FloridaShines.org – Transfer Schools, where you can also find contact information. The most important thing of all is to think ahead.You won’t regret it!

In addition! If you plan on transferring somewhere local—embracing the palms and sunshine of South Florida—Florida Atlantic University is a common yet favored choice. Broward College partners with FAU in something called the ‘Link Program’. As you may have seen, an FAU representative often visits the campus to talk to interested students about the FAU Link Program. Link Advisor Rochelle Maitland can be contacted at rmaitland2012@fau.edu

What’s That Awesome Record Look Like? Many universities ask for transcripts as a part of the application. Again, find out the admission requirements. To request transcripts you can either visit the Registrar’s office at the Las Olas campus or do it the 21st century (easy) way—request them through myBC (click the BC Transcripts—Transcript Request link). Fun fact: you can send them immediately, or have it held until you have been awarded your degree.

Last but not least: find out about the university open houses, events—perhaps you’d even like to visit your future campus. Broward College frequently holds College Transfer Events where several college/university representatives have tables set up with pamphlets, brochures and the like—even some goodies! And don’t forget to sign up to receive updates and information about your intended school’s admissions dates/events. 

SO, lovely gals (and guys of course), if you are transferring soon, don’t fall behind and be sure to look ahead!

Ana Cedeno is a journalism major and campus correspondent for Broward College. Originally from Guayaquil, Ecuador, she immigrated to the United States when she was twelve years old and continued her education in the sunny, politically contradictory, swamp state of Florida. She has since been published by both her college newspaper and the online grassroots journalism publication Rise Miami News. A fan of literature since age 6, she's an enthusiast of language and making her opinion known, while still hearing out the other side and keeping an open mind for growth.