Professor Trish Joyce – Creative Writing Extraordinaire and Advisor to HC Broward!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Broward chapter.

Adorned in her signature sun hat with a brim almost as expansive as her personality is Broward College’s own Professor Trish Joyce! Known best for her inspiring creative writing classes (she scores an impressive 3.5 on Rate my Professor), and  her activism in all things feminist, social justice, and writing orientated, she now adds another position to her already impressive resume – Professor Joyce is advisor to Her Campus Broward! Her creativity, activism, and inspiration make Professor Joyce the perfect candidate for Her Campus Broward’s first profile. President of Sigma Kappa Delta (English Honor Society), Wilfred Crespo, interviews Professor Joyce on her career, motivation, and the impact she makes daily on the students here at BC.

Q: How long have you been with Broward College?

A: I think I’m in my 43rd year. I stopped counting after forty. It’s forty-plus.

Q: What English classes do you teach or have you taught in the past?

A: Many. What I teach now is 1102, Creative Writing, and Literature of the Short Story, Intro to Short Fiction. What I’ve taught in the past would include Developmental English, 1101, several literature courses, Male and Female Figures in Literature, World Literature, Intro to Poetry, and Contemporary Issues in the Communicative Arts, which is no longer in the books.

Q: How do you keep your students engaged during class?

A: Small group activities. I like to have them use social media sometimes. I have them come up to the podium to present to the class to show what they know. I like to have students respond creatively, so I try not to give them the usual. It might be something from current affairs.

For instance, this term, I had a sustainability theme in my 1102, and I also engaged in learning communities, which is where one class has shared assignments with another class that they may or may not meet, it may be virtual or may be in person, but either way they’re online and they’re responding to the same assignment and they get to respond to each other’s discussion responses. We have students do posters outside, participate in lots of campus activities, from Earth Day to wRites of Spring.

Q: Who motivated you to become an English professor?

A: I would say my 12th grade English teacher, Mary Ruddy. She was very passionate about literature, very passionate about language in an era that was not fully accepting. She had an interracial marriage, and definitely did not fit anyone’s profile of a conservative teacher, from her thoughts to her passion. I would attribute it to her. My father, also, was very encouraging of reading.

Q: Besides teaching, what other activates or organizations are you involved with, and why?

A: I’m involved in the Critical Thinking Learning Society, which is part of the college’s QEP. Which means that I and many colleagues around Broward redesign our syllabi and assignments so they target what critical thinking is and how students can deepen their thinking by knowing critical thinking principles.

I’m involved in faculty development through learning communities. I do support almost all campus activities. I support Sigma Kappa Delta, as well as our veterans, as I’m the mom of a veteran. She’s retired now, but it made me more sensitive of veteran’s needs. I also fully support the honor society.

Those who know me know that I am a haiku writer. I also love Haibun, which is a mix of prose and haiku. If I were going to write something new, I would like to write non-fiction. Perhaps something on travel or a women’s issue. Maybe quirky airport experiences.

Q: You are the founder of this Sigma Kappa Delta’s chapter. What made you want to bring the organization to Broward College North Campus?

A: I think one day I found it on the internet. I actually knew the four-year sister chapter at FAU, Sigma Tau Delta. One day, I found SKD on the internet and asked my students if they would be interested and they said yes. So there was a group of charter members, plus our former dean, also Casey Gilman, supported the group.

Q: Is there anything that North Campus isn’t doing now to support writing you would like to see done?

A: I would like to see us promote more writing about social and environmental justice. I also wish The Observer sought more of those types of articles, or more professors assigned essays on these subjects.

As the interview comes to a close, Professor Joyce’s last response resonates with the purpose that Her Campus Broward wants to instill in each of its readers, supporters, and contributors – to tell stories about things that matter to the new generation and to provide opportunities for students to share their opinions uncensored and bold. Whether it be politics, career advice, or on campus news, Her Campus Broward wants to find and celebrate the real voices of Broward College, the ones that want to make a difference. Such individuals as Professor Trish Joyce, who has stuck with us through the process of seeing Her Campus Broward come into fruition. Whether you’re a writer, photographer, entrepreneur, or just have something to say, thank you for reading our words. We’re glad you’re here.

For more info on how you can become part of Her Campus at Broward, the #1 online community for college women, shoot us an email at Broward@Hercampus.com.

Chanel Samson is a Public Relations major and former Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Broward College. Born and raised in Toronto, Canada, she enjoys politely asserting her Canadian superiority in any given situation. Along with her involvement in Her Campus, she is an avid poet, which has earned her several awards and publications. She currently works for a travel publication in Fort Lauderdale, FL.
Ana Cedeno is a journalism major and campus correspondent for Broward College. Originally from Guayaquil, Ecuador, she immigrated to the United States when she was twelve years old and continued her education in the sunny, politically contradictory, swamp state of Florida. She has since been published by both her college newspaper and the online grassroots journalism publication Rise Miami News. A fan of literature since age 6, she's an enthusiast of language and making her opinion known, while still hearing out the other side and keeping an open mind for growth.