Meet the team: Yasmin Souza – No ordinary Christian

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Broward chapter.

Read Yasmin shine light on her hometown Brazil, the importance of vaginal health, and what it really means to live out loud for Christ.

Major and Year: Biology Sophomore

Hometown: Goiania, Brazil

HC Position: Social manager

HC Broward: What led you to choose to study at Broward College?

Yasmin: Being from a different country and a non Florida resident comes with a non resident price which is hard for someone who is just starting college. BC was an affordable option. I can honestly say that BC exceeded my expectations. Being a student ambassador and being involved in clubs and activities, I realized how important it is not to get caught up just in school work, but to be an active member of my community. BC and Student ambassadors helped me realize that.

HC Broward: I see that you were raised in Brazil. Coming to America must have been a huge culture shock! What do you see as the biggest difference between the US and Brazil?

Yasmin: Everything from safety to the mannerism. Americans are a lot more sheltered despite what you think about crazy college students in the United States. Brazilians can show more love and affection while Americans can be a bit on the colder side. We don’t greet with merely a handshake but a hug and kiss on each cheek. In terms of safety, we have something in Brazil called “Mulekke” which roughly translates to hood rat. You can find Mulekkes in the mall offering to look after your car for a small price. If you decline? You can bet you won’t like the state of your car upon return. Also forget walking the streets of Brazil with visible fancy jewelry, watches, or iphones or you will get robbed. Most people think of Brazil as a great country with good music, bright festivals, and rich dishes, however I know the reality. As much as I love my country, I’m happy that I’m here living out, and yes this is cliche, the American dream!

HC Broward: Speaking of the American Dream, your current aspiration is to study Biology.  What do you plan to do with your major?

Yasmin: I picked Biology because I plan to go to medical school. While it’s not a requirement, I think Biology sets the best foundation for what I want to do – become a obstetrics gynecologist (aka vagina doctor) … I picked this specifically because this is one of the most important areas in health for young girls to be educated about, especially in unsanitary and uneducated places. Girls bring life into the world quite literally, so I’m a huge advocate for educating girls about their bodies. Knowing that the changes they are experiencing physically are normal is a big component in self-acceptance. I am not interested of the status of being a physician, instead using those many years of studies to help others with medicine. One physician I actually look up to is Hunter Doherty “Patch” Adams. His life story and calling to become a Doctor is touching and authentic. Patch Adam has a heart for helping others and using medicine to do that. Giving back to the Community by opening free institutes and Global outreach, Adam finds his happiness in helping others through medicine without a care in statues and money. Check him out, he’s actually still alive and inspiring.

HC Broward: Now apart from being a student, working part time, and being involved in many clubs and organizations, I know you are a follower of Christ. How has that impacted your life?

Yasmin: Tremendously. It has given my life a purpose to live for. Despite all the hurdles life throws at me, I should not worry because I’m God’s daughter and I trust in the plan he has for me. Growing up in a Christian household, there were some restrictions on what I could do. This included house parties, raving, dating and anything you can expect a typical young adult to engage in. As the quote goes “strict parents create sneaky kids”; sadly, I did everything my parents told me not to do. While I enjoyed all these indulgences I use to come home feeling a void, guilty even, but I was hooked to the satisfaction of this world. It was only until I got caught by my mother that I realized the path I was heading down was not one that led me to God. The day I got caught was my first step towards a life devoted 100% to God. I was a Junior in High school when my transformation happened, everyone who knew me as the “party girl” and we’re shocked about my change. My testimony also encouraged others and brought hope into their life.

HC Broward: What piece of advice would you give to a young adult who is feeling spiritually or morally “lost”?

Yasmin: Stop living a religious life. Going to church once a week and living like the world does not make one a christian any more than going into a garage makes you a car. Start spending time with God every day by talking to him and reading the bible. Once you saturate your life with Him, that is when you’ll see the changes in your life and including the transformation in yourself. The gospel is not consumed on Do’s and Don’t or being a “good person,” Christ wants all of you right where you are, he wants your whole heart. Just remember: Relationship over religion.

Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” – John 8:12

HC Broward: You’re social media manager and writer for Her Campus Broward, what drew you to Her Campus and what impact do you want to leave on the Community?

Yasmin: First of all, I just want to give a shoutout for my English 2 Professor, Andrew Mcfeaters for rekindling my love for writing. Professor McFeaters said something on the first day of class I will never leave behind. He wholeheartedly encouraged the class by telling us we are all creative human beings and somewhat in our own way great writers. Of course their are some that has natural abilities but no one can not be a great writer or even author. In addition he told the class to let go of every fear or burden to write because of past events and teachers/professors. Professor McFeaters wanted to bring out our inner creativity and be willing to voice our thoughts into words. After that aspiring course I heard about Her Campus and was eager to be apart of the team. As you know I am a science and math type of person so branching out to writing articles and working as a social media manager will be a great way to ignite that fire for writing and gradually improve.

HC Broward: Thank you Yasmin for your time and honesty in this interview. You are a great addition to our team!

HCXO!

Chanel Samson is a Public Relations major and former Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Broward College. Born and raised in Toronto, Canada, she enjoys politely asserting her Canadian superiority in any given situation. Along with her involvement in Her Campus, she is an avid poet, which has earned her several awards and publications. She currently works for a travel publication in Fort Lauderdale, FL.
Ana Cedeno is a journalism major and campus correspondent for Broward College. Originally from Guayaquil, Ecuador, she immigrated to the United States when she was twelve years old and continued her education in the sunny, politically contradictory, swamp state of Florida. She has since been published by both her college newspaper and the online grassroots journalism publication Rise Miami News. A fan of literature since age 6, she's an enthusiast of language and making her opinion known, while still hearing out the other side and keeping an open mind for growth.