Latinos Earning Power

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Broward chapter.

Pura Vida, everyone! There are nearly 50.5 million Latinos in the United States and the rest of 16.3% of US population. “Latino” refers to a person with an ethnic background from a traditionally Spanish – speaking country!

Latinos in the Workplace: 68% of Latinos ages 16 and older in the civilian labor force, 2.3 million Latino – Owned businesses, 79,440 Latino chef executives, $345.2 billion receipts generated by Latino-Owned businesses, and $38,039 median income of Latino households!

Latino’s on the Job: 19% management or professional, 19% production or transportation, 15% construction maintenance or repair, 24% service occupations, 22% sales or office jobs, and 2% farming, fishing or forestry!

Latinos in the Marketplace: 21 years of Latino buying power! $200 billion since 1990, $800 billion since 2007, and $1.2 billion since 2011. Also, $1.2 trillion total buying power of Latino community, 26% of all Latino dollars are spent in California, $30 billion money sent annually to family in Latin America, and 42% of Latinos have a Checking and/or Savings account!

Latinos at Home: 80.6 Latino life expectancy (compared with 77.7 years for the total population).

6.49 million Latino homeowners, comprising of 62.4% of all Latino households. 63% Latino family households consisting of a married couple, 39% married Latino households with children under 18, and YES! 35 million US residents 5 and older who speak Spanish at home!

Star Power: What Latino Celebrities Make….

Jennifer Lopez, best known as Jenny on the Block; Puerto Rico, Entertainer, and $25 million a year!

Ricky Martin, best known as a talented performer; Puerto Rico, Singer, and a net worth of $60 million!

Selena Gomez, best known as Alex Russo on the classic Disney Channel show Wizards of Waverly Place; Mexican – American, Actress/Singer, and $5.5 million a year!

Albert Pujols, best known for his skills; Dominican Republic, Baseball Player, and $25 million a year!

Sofia Vergara, best known as Gloria on Modern Family; Colombia, Actress, and a net worth of $14 million!

I'm Miss. Congeniality of Broward College North Campus, Events Coordinator of the Psychology Club at Broward College North Campus, new president of Her Campus Broward, I work for Student Services at Broward College North Campus, and I just like to get involved in many great activities that benefit my personal growth.
Ana Cedeno is a journalism major and campus correspondent for Broward College. Originally from Guayaquil, Ecuador, she immigrated to the United States when she was twelve years old and continued her education in the sunny, politically contradictory, swamp state of Florida. She has since been published by both her college newspaper and the online grassroots journalism publication Rise Miami News. A fan of literature since age 6, she's an enthusiast of language and making her opinion known, while still hearing out the other side and keeping an open mind for growth.