Hispanic Heritage Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Broward chapter.

La Historia! Empieza la fiesta mi gente! :-)

National Hispanic Heritage Week, began in 1968 under President Lyndon Johnson and was specified as the week including September 15th to September 18th.

September 15th Independence Day for: Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua.

September 16th Independence Day for: Mexico.

September 18th: Independence Day for: Chile.

In 1988, President Ronald Reagan expanded it to cover an entire – month from September 15th to October 15th.

Latino o Hispano? Hispanic, refers to a language. Latino, refers to geography.

A Spaniard speaks Spanish but is not from a Latin American country, puts down Hispanic.

A Brazilian is from a Latin American country but speaks Portuguese, puts down Latino.

A Mexican is from a Latin American country and speaks Spanish, puts down both.

Half of Hispanic adults have no preference for either term.

Those who do have a preference like Hispanic or Latino by a ratio of about 2:1.

Unless you’re in Texas, where they prefer Hispanic over Latino by a ratio of about 6:1.

Algunos Datos! Where do U.S. Hispanics come from?

64.6% from Mexico, 9.5% from Puerto Rico, 3.8% from El Salvador, 3.6% from Cuba, 2.9% from the Dominican Republic, and 15.6% from other Hispanic/Latin countries.

Where do U.S. Hispanics Live? 55% of U.S. Hispanics live in California, Texas, and Florida. 71% live in 100 of the nation’s 3,143 countries or country – equivalents. 1%, that would be Maine is the state with the lowest Hispanic population.

In 2011, there we’re 51.9 million U.S. Hispanics! By 2050, that number is expected to reach 127 million!

La Influencia Hispana En La Cultura De Los EE. UU! The American cultural elements most impacted by Hispanic culture…..so!

Food: 87% according to non – Hispanics and 82% according to Hispanics!

Music: 63% according to non – Hispanics and 75% according to Hispanics!

Sports: 59% according to non – Hispanics and 70% according to Hispanics!

Beauty Standards: 32% according to non – Hispanics and 64% according to Hispanics!

Style and Appearance: 39% according to non – Hispanics and 62% according to Hispanics!

Clothing: 34% according to non – Hispanics and 61% according to Hispanics!

Art: 44% according to non – Hispanics and 60% according to Hispanics!

The Internet: 17% according to non – Hispanics and 59% according to Hispanics!

Architecture: 33% according to non – Hispanics and 56% according to Hispanics!

Television Programming: 63% according to non – Hispanics and 75% according to Hispanics!

Politics: 54% according to non – Hispanics and 54% according to Hispanics!

Technology: 14% according to non – Hispanics and 51% according to Hispanics!

Hispanos Famosos!

Sonia Sotomayor, Supreme Court Justice!

Benicio Del Toro, Academy Award – Winning Actor and best featured in the movie, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas!

Selena Gomez, Singer/Actress and best featured in the show on Disney Channel, Wizards of Waverly Place!

Severo Ochoa, Nobel Prize – Winning Physician/Biochemist!

Ellen Ochoa, Director of NASA’s Johnson Space Center!

Carlos Santana, Grammy Award – Winning Musician and best known for, Black Magic Woman!

Salma Hayek, Emmy Award – Winning Actress/Producer and best featured in various movies with, Antonio Banderas.

Edgar Martinez, Baseball Player, namesake of the MLB “Edgar Martinez Award,” given annually to the best Designated Hitter in the American League.

I'm Miss. Congeniality of Broward College North Campus, Events Coordinator of the Psychology Club at Broward College North Campus, new president of Her Campus Broward, I work for Student Services at Broward College North Campus, and I just like to get involved in many great activities that benefit my personal growth.
Ana Cedeno is a journalism major and campus correspondent for Broward College. Originally from Guayaquil, Ecuador, she immigrated to the United States when she was twelve years old and continued her education in the sunny, politically contradictory, swamp state of Florida. She has since been published by both her college newspaper and the online grassroots journalism publication Rise Miami News. A fan of literature since age 6, she's an enthusiast of language and making her opinion known, while still hearing out the other side and keeping an open mind for growth.