Get To Know The Team : Sandy Trager

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Broward chapter.

Name: Sandy Trager

Position: Outreach Director at Her Campus, Broward College.

What major are you pursuing at Broward College?

The major I am pursuing at the moment is an AA in Education, with the next step being a bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education.  I am currently trying to pursue a summer job in a VPK/Preschool setting as an Assistant Teacher.

How long have you been working with Best Buddies?

I have been working WITH not AT Best Buddies International for the past three years.  In 2014, I was recruited into the Best Buddies club at BC North as a fulltime member.  Then just one year later, I was elected to the Buddy Director position, where I was responsible for creating as well as overseeing the buddy parings, which I held for a year and a half.   Finally, being asked to become the newest Best Buddies student Ambassador, which is a position responsible for spreading the organization’s mission statement, to the present day.

What prompted you to work there?

It’s a really get organization and worthwhile cause!  Who’s mission in life is to devote all of their time and resources into helping individuals such as myself, to become independent well-rounded people, through job class training workshops, Intergraded employment, and one to one Friendships both within the US and around the world.  In their own way, they are making the world a better place.

What’s your favorite story from being a Best Buddy ambassador?

haven’t really been an ambassador long enough to have any stories of my own just yet, but during my short run, I have been told that three of the Elementary Schools that I have spoken with in the past year, have recently joined the Best Buddies family thanks to me.  I have also had the distinct honor of meeting Anthony Kennedy Shriver in person at the National Friendship walk in Miami, Florida.   If you would like to see some of the amazing stories and friendships which have come out of this organization, then just go to https://www.youtube.com/bestbuddies for more information.

What do you hope to accomplish with it? How far do you hope to go?

From a professional standpoint, I hope that I am able to help them work toward a world in which every person is treated with respect and kindness, regardless of how they look or their mental state.  Through, spreading the words of their mission statement, and living by the values they set forth, on a personal level.  I hope to one day live in a world where organizations such as this one, will no longer be needed.

Do you have any words for people who might want to volunteer?

You’ll get a terrific feeling from knowing that your efforts will greatly assist those in need.

Ana Cedeno is a journalism major and campus correspondent for Broward College. Originally from Guayaquil, Ecuador, she immigrated to the United States when she was twelve years old and continued her education in the sunny, politically contradictory, swamp state of Florida. She has since been published by both her college newspaper and the online grassroots journalism publication Rise Miami News. A fan of literature since age 6, she's an enthusiast of language and making her opinion known, while still hearing out the other side and keeping an open mind for growth.