Fun Thanksgiving Day Facts

Posted -
Tagged

Gobble! Gobble! Here are some fun fest facts on Thanksgiving Day:

• According to the National Turkey Federation, 88% of Americans surveyed eat turkey on Thanksgiving.

• The average weight of turkeys purchased for Thanksgiving is 16 pounds.

• A turkey typically has 70% white meat and 30% dark meat. Nutritionally, between the two types; white meat has fewer calories and less fat than dark meat.

• According to a study conducted by the National Institute of Health and the Medical University of South Carolina, the average person’s weight gain between Thanksgiving and the New Year is just over 1 pound.

• While turkey does contain Tryptophan, a natural sedative, the “food coma” you experience on Thanksgiving is not caused by this. Instead, you get sleepy because your body is working hard to digest all the food.

• The first Turkey Trot was run in 1896 in Buffalo, New York, when Henry A. Allison and six other runners competed in a five mile cross country race on Thanksgiving morning.

• The Dallas Turkey Trot is the largest Thanksgiving race in the United States.

• Pumpkin pie is the most popular pie for Thanksgiving and over 50 million are made every year.

• Some typical Thanksgiving foods that were not a part of the first Thanksgiving: potatoes, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie.

• Turkey bowling is an event that takes place annually in Cincinnati’s Fountain Square ice skating rink, where contestants see who can knock down the most pins while sliding a frozen turkey across the ice.

• Green bean casserole was created in 1955 by the people at Campbell Soup and has become a popular Thanksgiving side dish. 40 million green bean casseroles are served on Thanksgiving.

• While many people use the terms yams and sweet potatoes interchangeably, they are not even related to one another.

• 50% of Americans put the stuffing inside the turkey.

• Americans consume around 400 million pounds of cranberries a year, and 20% of them are consumed during Thanksgiving week.

About The Author

I like to read, hangout with friends, and just take life into account to make it worthwhile no matter how much how crazy it seems.

Editor's Note

Are you an aspiring journalist or just looking for an outlet where you can share your voice? Apply to write for Her Campus!

User login