42 Fictional Quotes: To Help You Achieve Real Success

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Broward chapter.

Besides real people, everyone at some point in their own lives has had or have someone in the fictional universe that they look up to because they feel that they feel that there is something about that fictional character that they can go by their life looking up to and feeling content in their daily lives. Like….for instance!

Leadership:

• William Wallace (from Braveheart) “Your title gives you claim to the throne of our country, but men don’t know titles, they follow courage.”

• Sophia Maguire (The Event) “Leadership requires discipline, sacrifice, the ability to make people believe in the impossible. No one said anything about easy.”

• William Adama (Battlestar Galactica) “Sometimes you have to roll a hard six.”

Entrepreneurship:

• Gandalf the Grey (The Fellowship of the Ring: The Shadow of the Past) “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.”

• Indiana Jones (Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom) “Fortune and glory, kid. Fortune and glory.”

• Andrew Ryan (Bioshock) “We all make choices; but in the end our choices makes us.”

• Eleventh Doctor (Doctor Who) “I am and always the optimist, the hoper of far – flung hopes, and the dreamer of improbable dreams.”

• Bruce Wayne (Batman Begins) “It’s not who I am underneath – it’s what I do that defines me.”

• Will Schuester (Glee) “It’s not the broken dreams that break us, it’s the ones we don’t dare to dream.”

• Meredith Grey (Grey’s Anatomy) “Life is not a spectator sport. Win, lose, or draw, the game is in progress, whether we want it to be, or not. So, go ahead, argue with the refs, change the rules….cheat a little, take a break….and tend to your wounds. But play. Play. Play hard. Play fast. Play loose and free.”

• John Connor (Terminator Series) “The future has not been written. There is no fate but what we make of ourselves.”

• Stephen Hawking (The Theory of Everything) “There should be no boundaries to human endeavor. We are all different. However bad life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. While there’s life, there is hope.”

• Bilbo Baggins (The Fellowship of the Ring: The Riddle of Strider) “All that is gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.”

• Eames (Inception) “You mustn’t be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.”

• John Keating (Dead Poets Society) “No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world.”

• Harvey Dent (The Dark Knight) “You make your own luck.”

Teamwork:

• Legion (Mass Effect 2) “Our home is where we are. Our place is not relevant, only where we choose to go together.”

• Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire) “Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.”

• Steve Rogers (Captain America: The Winter Soldier) “Soldiers trust each other. That is what makes us an army.”

• Sean Maguire (Good Will Hunting) “Some people can’t believe in themselves until someone else believes in them first.”

Perseverance:

• Henri Ducard (Batman Begins) “The training is nothing, the will is everything!”

• Yoda (Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back) “Do or do not. There is no try.”

• Fox Mulder (The X – Files) “I want to believe.”

• Arya Stark (Game of Thrones) “A bruise is a lesson….and each lesson….makes us better.”

• Captain Jack Sparrow (Pirates of the Caribbean) “The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?”

• Spock (Star Trek) “Live long and prosper.”

• The Emperor of China (Mulan) “A single grain of rice can tip the scale. One man may be the difference between victory and defeat.”

• Kevin Flynn (TRON: Legacy) “I kept dreaming of a world I thought I’d never see. And then one day….I got in.”

• Rocky Balboa (Rocky Balboa) “It ain’t about how hard you hit; it’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done.”

• Dean Winchester (Supernatural) “I’ll keep fighting. I’ll keep swinging ‘till I got nothing left.”

Innovation and Marketing:

• Paul Atreides (Dune) “I must not fear. Fear is the mind – killer.”

• Alice Kingsleigh (Alice in Wonderland) “You’re mad, bonkers, of your head! But I’ll tell you a secret: all the best people are.”

• Willy Wonka (Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory) “Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple.”

• Tyrion Lannister (Game of Thrones) “A mind switch needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge.”

• Don Draper (Mad Men) “Well, technology is a glittering lure. But there’s the rare occasion when the public can be engaged on a level beyond flash, if they have a sentimental bond with the product.”

• Professor Xavier (The X – Men #2) “The greatest power on Earth is the magnificent power we all of us possess….the power of the human brain!”

Giving Back and Living Life:

• Aragorn (Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King) “Deeds will not be less valiant because they are unpraised.”

• Andy Dufresne (The Shawshank Redemption) “Get busy living or get busy dying.”

• Frank Underwood (House of Cards) “Generosity is its own form of power.”

• Jack Davenport (Titanic) “I figure life’s a gift and I don’t intend on wasting it. You don’t know what hand you’re gonna get dealt with next.”

• Ferris Bueller (Ferris Bueller’s Day Off) “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

• Hoban Washburne (Serenity) “I’m a leaf in the mind. Watch how I soar.”

I'm Miss. Congeniality of Broward College North Campus, Events Coordinator of the Psychology Club at Broward College North Campus, new president of Her Campus Broward, I work for Student Services at Broward College North Campus, and I just like to get involved in many great activities that benefit my personal growth.
Ana Cedeno is a journalism major and campus correspondent for Broward College. Originally from Guayaquil, Ecuador, she immigrated to the United States when she was twelve years old and continued her education in the sunny, politically contradictory, swamp state of Florida. She has since been published by both her college newspaper and the online grassroots journalism publication Rise Miami News. A fan of literature since age 6, she's an enthusiast of language and making her opinion known, while still hearing out the other side and keeping an open mind for growth.