Winter wonderland: three key items to have in your wardrobe this winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.
As November approaches and we begin the exciting countdown to Christmas (and going back home for home cooked dinners!), the fashion of Bristol’s gals is noticeably changing. High street shops such as Topshop and H&M are also introducing the winter season clothes, which for any shopaholic, is both a wonderful joy and tease. Winter fashion is undoubtedly the most exciting because it’s when we can get really creative with layering jumpers and coats, and splashing colours here and there with bright hats and scarfs. There is no greater feeling than wrapping yourself in warm coat and walking into the Autumn morning looking absolutely fab. 

Coats are not only essential as the days get colder, but also a fun way to make a fashion statement. Cocoon coats, a style that is typically cut off above the knee and is roomy when worn, is in all the major high street shops this season, and is becoming increasingly popular. This type of coat goes particularly well with skinny jeans, due to the contrast in sizing having a great slimming effect. When worn with a big cosy scarf, this is a look that is both sophisticated but casual. 

Boots are also a really lovely winter item, not only because they keep your feet warm and dry, but they are also look fantastic on anyone. However as students, we cannot always afford the luxury of beautiful winter boots. But fear not! Ankle boots are one of those shoes that can also be worn in the warmer months with a floaty dress. It’s a great look and a financial investment! Check out some of Vanessa Hudgen’s outfits on Instagram for some boho fashion inspiration. 

One of my favourite things about winter is the fluffy slipper socks that you can wear around the house and even inside your boots (shhh!). These are similar to slippers but have the advantage of being able to wear them all day long, so the chills outside the warmth of your bedroom don’t stand a chance against your cosy feet. A great addition to wear with these socks is a big baggy jumper, creating an ultra-stylish but cute bedtime look. 

So, whether you’ve already been to Cabot Circus and spent your student loan to liven up your wardrobe, or will be making use of the vintage and charity shops on around Bristol, there is no reason why you can’t look great this winter.

Holly began as the features editor for Her Campus Bristol and then progressed on to managing director/campus correspondent in 2016. A third year English student, she has a passion for reading, nature and writing.