This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Theresa May, a figure of controversy due to her U-turn on the recent general election, and her close personal relationship with President Trump. Now with the US government being investigated for the Russia scandal, can she really condemn the US’s connections with Russia, after she builds close ties with a Russia-affiliated American President?

At a recent dinner in London, during a speech May accuses Putin of “planting fake stories.” This is May’s boldest statement yet about Russian intervention in the US elections last year. Although Ms May seems to have finally woken up to these allegations, her close alliance with President Trump rather makes a mockery of her stance, seeing as she openly supports a president who has benefitted from these “fake stories”. Not only does he benefit, but Trump continues to pretend that these “fake stories,” which include outlandish allegations of Hillary Clinton’s crimes, are complete fact, and that he won the election fairly.

Following May’s visit to the White House in January 2016, she and Trump met like old friends, exchanging light conversation and jokes. We can see that May was eager to strengthen US-UK ties, which might leave the United Kingdom in a better position post Brexit. This is all fairly standard for politicians, to put on a united and amicable front, but this meeting between world leaders seemed particularly chummy. Arguably both politicians are looking to use each other’s power to further their own interest, however May calling out Putin for election-meddling seems to fall on deaf ears. Putin has strong links with Trump’s children and campaign team, as they engaged in covert meetings and email correspondence. However May’s damning view on Putin flies in the face of her relationship with Trump. A Prime Minister can’t expect to condemn the man who put the US President in power, and then still wish to forge closer ties with Trump’s government. May is walking on a very thin line of condemning Putin, whilst still using Trump as an avenue for her policies, which is completely contradictory.

May, in her speech almost acts dumb to the ironic way she has dealt with Trump and Putin, after saying that Putin has used the media to “weaponise information.” This is of course is the same media that might have played a part in the UK elections, as Putin is rumoured to have tried to alter these also. In short, Trump is a president who is endorsed by the Russian media and Putin, so by extension, so is Theresa May. Her aim to create stronger ties with the US is all well and good, but when she benefits and profits from Putin’s meddling due to her being able to sway Trump, she cannot then call Putin out for something she herself is endorsing. May seems as undecided as ever, though of course we have seen this before in her time as Prime Minister. It’s ironic that May publicly shames Putin for trying to fix the US election, when she has been trying to monopolise on Trump’s presidency for her own political gain.

Features Editor at Her Campus Bristol
Zoe Thompson

Bristol '18

President of Her Campus Bristol.