REVIEW: BOpS Presents: Sweeney Todd, 16/03/16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

I’ve seen the movie, I’ve seen the stage show and I’ve acted in this musical myself. Walking into the Winston on opening night I knew every challenge this cast had to face; the tricksy Sondheim rhythms, the multiple complex harmonies, being scary without hamming it up. All challenges that I felt were met beautifully.

Director, Stan Ford, is a long-time fan of the musical and has said that he wanted to combine elements of his favourite interpretations to create one ultimate Todd.  With the help of his talented cast and crew, he brought this macabre tale to life with all the spookiness and dark humour that Sondheim intended.

The staging wouldn’t have been out of place on the West End, lending a gritty yet adaptable backdrop to any scene. The lighting was dramatic, with vivid splashes of red, shadows for characters to skulk in and the occasional spotlight (this is a musical after all). The special effects brought gasps of squeamish delight from the audience without reaching Tarantino heights. In other words, don’t panic if you’ve got a seat in the front.

Another special word must go out to the costumier, who had everyone gorgeously decked out in period dress, dark and dingey excepting Pirelli’s fetching blue get-up and Joanna’s classic white gown.  

Now to the cast, who were wonderfully synchronised. The chorus was impressively tight, giving us an indication of the array of talent in this society. Naturally, this being the operatic society, I couldn’t hear one bad voice in the bunch.

The leading couple quite obviously stole the show, with Mikey Tsoukkas and Hannah Boxall as the cruelest duo in musical theatre. The chemistry between them was palpable as they bonded over their bloodlust. Mikey’s Sweeney gave me chills, with a voice that was as beautiful as it was powerful; angry and sad all at once. To my mind Lovett is a difficult character to play; she must be vulnerable, sexy, strong-willed, hopeless and comic without becoming a comic relief. Hannah’s performance achieved these objectives and felt true.  

The all-round quality of this production is well worth the price of a student ticket. Get one now to celebrate the end of term. Maybe get one for your barber too, it’s always better to stay on their good side!
Ella is one of the two CC's for Her Campus Bristol. She is currently in her final year at the University of Bristol, reading English Literature. Ella loves buffets, art and fashion - she is hoping to make it as the next Anna Wintour. You can follow her on Twitter @ella_wills where she will mostly post mindless attempts at humour.