Reclaiming the Workplace

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

With the raft of sexual assault claims coming out of Hollywood and now Westminster, the problem of workplace harassment seems sadly ever present.  These case studies are symbolic of a much wider situation, in which dangerous power dynamics in workplaces across the country create environments that are conducive to the assault and harassment of their workers.

Photo Credit: www.theguardian.com

With the growing number of women in work, especially within the corporate environment, it is high time things began to change.  We need to reclaim the workplace.  The stereotypical view of many workplace environments as male spaces needs to change, and the structures within management in particular, must be altered to encourage the equally gendered workplaces we are striving for in 2017. 

Women often face environments in which an unbalanced gender disparity has created a system of ‘lad culture’, and of aggressive workplace behavior.  Despite attempts at the higher level to alter companies, the culture within many businesses is often conducive to the degradation of women, not allowing them to progress in their jobs.

With the recent allegations of workplace assault that have become prolific in the media, it’s inspiring to see so many women (and many men) speaking out, demanding change.  TUC research suggests that more than half of women have experienced some form of sexual harassment at work. This problem is systemic, and its ramifications can be felt in every area of our society. It goes far beyond specific industries, businesses or political parties.  We need to create workplaces across all sectors of our society, in which women can thrive.

Zoe Thompson

Bristol '18

President of Her Campus Bristol.