you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Procrastinator’s Guide to Procrastinating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

It is paradoxical but I believe the best advice for beating procrastination comes from chronic procrastinators. I can’t count on my fingers the amount of times highly productive, ‘non-procrastinators’ have told me to ‘just to do it’, but for those of us who are trapped in a cycle of short-term satisfaction (e.g. watching Netflix), guilt and then severe panic, ‘just do it’ is just not going to cut it. This is because procrastinators hate doing.

Procrastinators are not lazy or stupid; Leonardo Da Vinci himself was the ultimate procrastinator! This was also shown by Joseph Ferrari’s research at DePaul University, in which he argues that it is negative emotions that hijack the procrastinator’s mindset, stopping them from working. In my experience procrastination stems from the fear of failure, which leads to avoidance and the sidestepping of responsibility.

After a year of writing my coursework the night before and shakily submitting it a minute before the deadline, I have decided enough is enough. Admittedly this article is a way to avoid reading the highly entertaining poetry of Pope, but let’s ignore that. These are some tips from a procrastinator in recovery:

(https://sites.psu.edu/siowfa16/files/2016/09/how-to-stop-procrastinating…)

1. Breaking up work into small and manageable tasks.

I never used to believe this tip was useful, but it is a crucial one. My daily ‘to do’ lists used to be filled with colossal tasks, such as ‘Read Paradise Lost’ and ‘Finish Essay’. Unsurprisingly I never completed these tasks and was left feeling unmotivated.

It is important to be realistic and break down these tasks into manageable chunks, e.g. ‘Read the first book of Paradise Lost’, followed by a different task to prevent boredom, e.g. ‘clean up desk’. This way a working day can suddenly become more varied, palatable and successful. It is also good to begin with an easier task to get you motivated, before you move onto the larger tasks. Instead of trying to read for eight hours (which is just not feasible), doing a little every day and achieving something every day will motivate you.

This method also works for the more frightening tasks, such as writing a dissertation. I sat down with my supervisor and desperately asked, “how do I fix my procrastination?’” and she provided me with some useful advice. “Everyday write 100 words. Even if it is the worst thing you have ever written it doesn’t matter. Write something, write down the conversation we are having now”.

Remind yourself that drafts do not have to be perfect and writing something is better than nothing.

2. Distraction free zone.

A distraction-free environment is key. You know scrolling through your boring Facebook feed and reading the morally indefensible Daily Mail gossip columns will be your downfall. For your laptop I recommend Self-Control which will black-list addicting websites, locking you out of any website that distracts you, for as much time as you desire.

As for my phone I am yet to find an app that blocks out everything without cost. However, Focus Now is a free alternative to end the constant phone-checking. The app allows you to set a time to grow your tree and if you leave the app your tree will ‘cruelly’ die. If you stop distracting yourself you will be rewarded with a farm castle (lame but actually works).

Another method is to give your friend your phone and tell them not to give it back – UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

3. Non-invasive music

This can often be counterproductive, but non-lyrical music at a low volume can often make a boring task bearable. Play music you vaguely know, so you don’t become immersed or surprised by a new song. For concentration, I recommend ‘Alpha Waves’ on YouTube, classical music, or film soundtracks. Some also argue that due to its immersive qualities video game music is the best genre to listen to. 

It is key to not listen to something you love, or hate.

4. Working with friends

This is usually disastrous advice, but seeing your conscientious course mate plough through their work might be the motivation you need. Make plans to go to the library together, with the reward of a coffee afterwards. Ask them to hold you to your goal of completing a piece of work!

5. Remind yourself of the ‘Dark Playground

The blog ‘waitbutwhy’ adequately explains why we procrastinate due to the ‘Instant gratification monkey’ in detail. He argues that if we submit to the monkey we end up in the ‘dark playground’ – the place where we waste time on Facebook and Netflix. Remind yourself that the “Dark Playground isn’t actually fun because it’s completely unearned and the air is filled with guilt”. You want to be in the ‘Happy Playground’ where you can enjoy leisure activities without the self-loathing. Remember that you don’t actually have fun when you procrastinate!

Zoe Thompson

Bristol '18

President of Her Campus Bristol.