Our cake sale for Coppa Feel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

On the 6th November, Her Campus put on a little cake sale at the university in order to raise money for the breast cancer awareness charity ‘Coppa Feel’

Coppa Feel is a charity that tries to educate as many women (and men) as possible about how to check your breasts in order to catch breast cancer early. They do this by sending monthly texts reminding those who have signed up to it to check their breasts. They go into schools, universities, work places, and festivals to make sure as many women as possible know how to check their breasts along with spreading awareness of the importance of doing so. In fact, this has resulted in the #rethinkcancer campaign that believes all children should be educated about all types of cancer in schools. 

Not only this, but their social media campaigns along with the constant talk about boobs reduces the vision of breasts as just sexual things, and reminds us that actually they are a part of the female body that we should try our best to keep healthy. 

This was a post on their instagram talking about their daytime TV advert which was the first to show a female nipple. Facebook took it down though since it didn’t fit with their community guidelines. Pretty ridiculous, right?

These are the reasons why we wanted to raise money for this incredible charity. We got together with Boston Tea Party who gave us three big, delicious cakes to sell on Woodland Road. Whilst selling the cakes, we gave out leaflets, stickers and badges to raise even more awareness about checking for breast cancer. We had a great response and managed to raise £95 for the charity, with several people giving very generous donations. 

Thank you to Boston Tea Party, everyone that bought a cake, and everyone who helped on the stall. If you want to find out more about Coppa Feel, please visit their website and follow their very stylish and informative instagram (coppafeelpeople)

Zoe Thompson

Bristol '18

President of Her Campus Bristol.