Meet Rowena, Vice President of Bristol FemSoc and Coordinator of the Pads for Refugees Campaign

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

We interviewed Rowena, Vice President of Bristol University’s Feminist Society and one of the coordinators behind this year’s Pads for Refugees Campaign.

What is Pads for Refugees?

Pads for Refugees is Bristol Uni Femsoc’s biggest campaign. We collect sanitary towels which we then pass on to Refugee Aid From Taunton, a grassroots initiative who send aid to refugee camps in Europe and in Syria. There are bins all over campus where you can donate, whether it’s just one pad or a whole packet!

Where did the campaign start?

We started the campaign in Autumn 2015 as we wanted to be able to do something in response to the growing refugee crisis. I saw lots of posts on Facebook asking for walking boots, tarpaulins and clothes, but wasn’t able to donate any of those items. The more posts I saw, the more I noticed that even when toiletries were requested, they rarely specified menstrual sanitation products. I was campaigns officer for Femsoc at the time and the whole committee were really keen to make it happen so we did! We realised that this was something that any student could help with, whatever their budget and resources and the campaign grew from there.

How is it making a difference?

It is so easy for most people who menstruate to go about their daily lives without ever considering the privilege they have in having easy access to the products and facilities they need. The taboos around menstruation stop people from talking openly enough for the struggles that menstruating people might face if they are living on a shoestring budget, homeless, or, in this case, surviving in camps and on long journeys after fleeing violence. Having access to sanitary products gives a menstruating refugee the option to manage their period. It gives them dignity.

How is the campaign going this year?

This term we are focussing the campaign in a month of action for November! There are 20 bins around campus and we’ve been really pleased with the amount of donations coming in. I think it’s a campaign that people connect with when they think about it, and we can see that in the generosity we’ve received.

How can people help?

You can help by donating and spreading the word! Like us on Facebook at ‘Pads for Refugees’ and share our posts. You can find all our donation points listed on the Facebook page, and then get donating! Most of the points are located in female toilets, but if you don’t use these facilities there is a collection box in the entrance of the ASS library.

Her Campus magazine