This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

H&M has invited its consumers to forget about gender constructs and binaries, launching a new unisex collection with Denim United. Whilst, unisex fashion is not exactly novel, often found in children’s stores or on the runway of J.W. Anderson, no high street retailer has managed to create a collection that is not only affordable, but actually fashionable– until now. 

In store and online as of the 23rd of March (get a move on if you want to get your hands on one of the pieces), H&M’s collection successfully channels the normcore trend to create cool, casual pieces with silhouettes and materials that are interchangeable between both male and female styles.

A spokeswoman for the brand has stated: “It’s very natural for us to launch a unisex collection since fashion is constantly evolving and intersecting. Today, we see that there are no boundaries in democratic style. Fashion should always be inclusive.”

The 19 piece capsule collection boasting a fantastic selection of denim jackets, jeans and shorts, punctuated with white and grey sportswear pieces, is also ‘inclusive’ for those on a tight budget with every piece priced under £50 (yay). 

(Picture Credit: Cosmopolitan)

However, H&M have not only made steps to make the world more fashionably equal for all, but have taken steps to close the manufacturing loop by using recycled and organic cotton in the collection. Good for the environment and good quality- what more can you ask for? With H&M being the vanguard of the high street’s innovative retailers, I can’t wait to see what they come up with next. 

Her Campus magazine