Does Dual Citizenship make a mockery of Brexit?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

We’ve all heard rumours about the mysterious dual citizenship that could save those who voted remain from losing their rights to travel and work throughout Europe. But how realistic is it? Recently famous actor Colin Firth was reported to have successfully applied for Italian citizenship, reportedly due to his wife’s Italian heritage and the worry many of us have of what might happen to EU citizens living in Britain when Brexit is finally settled?

Many of us might claim to have Irish heritage, which would make one eligible for Irish citizenship, but is this tactic, of essentially dodging the consequences of Brexit, worthwhile? There is much debate over what will happen to the lives of EU residents living in the UK, due to the patriotic and nationalistic tone of the leave campaign.

Theresa May recently sought to quell rumours of deportation through her Florence speech this month, although this so called “gradual” transitioning period has left slight uncertainty. May has promised to write into law a series of protective measures for EU citizens living in the UK. However, this arguably seems to defeat the aim of Brexit. Freely given dual nationality and protections for EU citizens is a significant measure in protecting millions of people living in Britain, although it contradicts the promises of the leave campaign. However, it seems to make the whole of the quest for a non-EU Britain rather fruitless. Certainly the £18billion that Britain will still have to pay into the EU to contribute to the 2020 EU budget seems to suggest that Brexit negotiations are happening far slower than Brexiteers would like.                

If many British and EU citizens living in Britain can secure dual citizenship then what were the leave campaign fighting for? The vote for leave has created an air of suspicion and worry for the EU members living in the UK, as it is an abrupt reminder that the British identity often, is hostile to outsiders. An anti-Brexit rally held in London this month that had around 50,000 participants only shows the intense coming together of peoples against Brexit, and from one of the most diverse cities in Britain.

The extensive media coverage of increased hate crimes during the run-up and the aftermath of the Brexit vote in June 2016 shows how Brexit and the exiting of Britain from European markets is directly linked to how we think about race and other countries. Dual citizenship offers the domestic solution for many families, couples and young people who are finding their future as EU citizens in Britain uncertain. However, it is hard to see how dual citizenship, which seems to completely outsmart the purpose of Brexit, will fare on the European political stage as May and her cabinet try to conclude talks. This whole premise of dual citizenship flies in the face of Brexiteers and the leave campaign, therefore in a post Brexit world, it can’t surely present a stable future for EU citizens in Britain due to the highly determined nature of Brexit the leave campaign so emphatically promised us.

Features Editor at Her Campus Bristol
Her Campus magazine