element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Christmas Movies You May Not Have Heard Of

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Bored of Elf? Sick of Love Actually? Unable to stomach Home Alone again?

Everyone loves a classic Christmas film to get you in the festive spirit, but watching the same films year after year can be such a drag. If you feel like its time for something new, here are some Christmas-themed movies that you may not have heard of. 

The Greatest Store in the World

A firm childhood favourite of mine, this movie tells the story of a family who become homeless at Christmas and secretly move into a department store in central London. Featuring Peter Capaldi, Ricky Tomlinson, Brian Blessed and S Club (gasp) this is a great watch.

(Photo credit: Alchetron)

Muppets Christmas Carol

Whilst you’ve definitely heard of “A Christmas Carol”, have you seen the Muppets version? With Michael Cain playing Ebenezer Scrooge, this quirky take on the Dickens classic also features  Kermit, Miss Piggy and the whole muppet crew. This musical is another Christmas movie well worth a watch. 

(Photo Credit: Muppet Wiki)

Deck the Halls

As rubbish Christmas movies go, this one is pretty entertaining. Danny Devito plays a family man competing with his neighbour for the most extravagent Christmas lights. It may only have 30% on Rotten Tomatoes (!) but predictability aside, if you’re looking for an easy going movie to stick on whilst you online shop or wrap presents, give this one a go,

(Photo credit: Amazon)

Holiday in Handcuffs

Melissa Joan Hart (aka Sabrina the Teenage Witch) plays a woman who can’t face another year of being single and having relatives ask about marriage, so decides to take matters into her own hands: she kidnaps a man in order to take him home to her parents and introduce him as her boyfriend (if only things were that easy). This romantic comedy is great if you want to snuggle in bed with a movie.

(Photo Credit: Netflix)

One Magic Christmas

This heartwarming ’80s movie is about a mother who struggles to get in the Christmas spirit due to her husbands’s unemployment and her own job at a grocery store. However, their daughter Abbie meets an angel who teaches the family to be grateful for what they have.

(Photo credit: Listal)

Frozen

Okay so you’ve definitely heard of this one. And while its not explicitly Christmas themed, it counts as a Christmas movie due to the abundance of snow and cutesy message about love. If you haven’t seen it (where have you been?!) its a good one to watch with your little brothers and sisters. Or alone… no judgement!

(Photo credit: Disney)

Abbie is Lifestyle Editor for HC Bristol, currently studying English at the University of Bristol.
Her Campus magazine