Bristol set to Protest for an end to the “Tampon Tax”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

The “tampon tax” was imposed in the 1970s after the UK joined the Common Market, implementing a 17.5% VAT on all sanitary products. Thirty years on in the year of the millennium, this VAT was reduced to 5% thanks to the consistent lobbying by Labour MP Dawn Primarolo.

Unfortunately current EU legislation does not allow products to pass under the 5% rate of VAT law; zero rates are not permitted in its standardised system.

According to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC), sanitary towels and tampons are considered “non-essential, luxury items”, and should therefore be liable for VAT along with other “luxuries” such as cigarettes and alcohol. Meanwhile products such as Jaffa Cakes, rare meat and even helicopters are exempt from the government’s list of taxable items. In logic, this signifies that these items are somehow more essential than feminine products. The issue has been raised to a perhaps indifferent and unsympathetic House of Commons, with Prime Minister and conservative leader David Cameron glossing the removal of sanitary tax as being “Very difficult to do…” in response to the EU reform that would have to be amended in the eradication of sanitary taxation. However this isn’t a reflection on all the democratic parties involved, the movement to remove the tax is a cross-party campaign, rallying support from the likes of the Liberal Democrats and the SNP, whilst Labour, under the new leadership of Jeremy Corbyn has followed on from Primarolo’s efforts in advocating the taxes end. MP Paula Sherriff presented an amendment to the Finance Bill which, if passed, would force the Chancellor of the Exchequer to negotiate with the EU towards the eradication of VAT on UK sanitary products. She stated, “I’ve tabled this amendment because it is time to end the tampon tax once and for all. It’s absurd that they are taxed as luxuries, not essentials, and not treated as a public service or medical provision by the EU.”

Arguably, periods shouldn’t be a socially awkward issue. Fundamentally, women need sanitary products to absorb menstrual blood; a natural occurrence that affects every single woman across the country. Can we really deem it acceptable in 2015 Britain to essentially tax women’s vaginas?

We speak to a group of women about their organised protest occurring on the 12th December in Bristol’s City centre to unify support towards the aforementioned issues.

One organiser, first year mature student Leigh-Ann Clarke, discusses how the march is open to the wider community, and “Actively inclusive of all genders as equality is everyone’s fight.” After the protest selected speakers and poets to talk on the theme of the Tampon Tax. “Our aim is to create maximum visibility in order to build awareness of the issue, and gain support.” She goes onto elaborate how organising the march has been tricky, but “The police and council have been incredibly supportive and helpful.”

Fellow campaigner, Izzy Clifford asserts her belief that “This tax is an example of legislative discrimination against people who menstruate,” and “For me this tax is a symptom of a highly unequal society.”

UK Chancellor of the Exchequer, George Osborne, vocalised the decision released in his autumn statement under “Taxes” earlier in November that “The so-called ‘Tampon Tax’… cannot be repealed because of EU rules.” However, the £15m raised by it a year will be handed over to women’s charities.” One may think this is a fair approach from the conservative’s on the issues raised but supports Clifford’s ideas of inequality. The suggestion that women’s menstruation should fund their own mental health problems ignores the voices of those that feel their basic human rights aren’t being met.

With sexual contraception rightly and lawfully offered freely through the NHS, such legislation also reflects the patriarchal tone that Izzy infers, as the tampon tax is an issue that directly and only affects women. Clifford’s previous charity work has allowed her to witness the amount of homeless women that were desperate for sanitary items. This taxation affects women on low incomes who can’t afford to live on the basic luxuries of modern life. It suggests they are not entitled a clean, sanitary existence.

On a concluding note, laws should be there to govern society; however they should also be open to reform and review in order to not oppress individuals as society evolves. In an age of modernity, it seems highly irrelevant to follow the sterile taxation policies of the EU, which clearly don’t adhere to the desires of the women of this country. Clifford and Clarke’s organised event calls for all individuals, of any gender, to question the patriarchal tone of the tampon tax by peacefully protesting their right to speak against it.

(Photo Credit: Leigh-Ann Clarke)

To find out more about the protest and how to get involved, see the event page below:

https://www.facebook.com/events/503305453162673/

Eloise is a second year English Literature student studying at the University of Bristol and is editor of the Her Campus Profile section. An authentic Bristolian, she is passionate about her city and can often be found wearing her Air Max with her nose in a book and a cider in her hand.Check out her instagram here: www.instagram.com/eloisetahourdin/
Ella is one of the two CC's for Her Campus Bristol. She is currently in her final year at the University of Bristol, reading English Literature. Ella loves buffets, art and fashion - she is hoping to make it as the next Anna Wintour. You can follow her on Twitter @ella_wills where she will mostly post mindless attempts at humour.