This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Bernie Sanders is the Anti-Trump when it comes to fashion. Unlike the new POTUS who has allegedly demanded that the women who work for him “dress like a woman” and that the men must wear Trump or Armani ties to look presentable, Bernie Sanders couldn’t care less about fashion and cares more about politics, which could not be more refreshing considering the media circus that surrounded the Presidential election. The constant focus on the “celebrity” aspects of the election, as in what the candidates were wearing, or wether they had a “Presidential Look” (as said by Trump) really detracted from the importance of America’s decision of who was to be their new President. 

(Picture Credit: Fortune)

Famed for his relaxed (and maybe even a little scruffy) style during his Presidential bid, Bernie Sanders has recently, albeit unintentionally, become a fashion icon and muse, with Balenciaga’s Demma Gvasalia picking up on his non-superficial attitude and paying homage to him by using his look as inspiration for the high fashion brand’s show this Paris Fashion Week. Balenciaga’s tribute to the Democrat runner comes in the form of Sander’s campaign logo, although now reworked with the brand’s name, being plastered over garments such as wind-breaker style jackets, oversized scarfs, long duster coats and jumpers. In fact, the whole feel of the collection gives off Bernie-style vibes with its relaxed aesthetic, including loose fit trousers and striped collars popping out of sweatshirt jumpers or underneath loose ties.

Speaking to CNN of his new found fashion fame, Bernie has been as understated as ever stating: “I think of my many attributes, being a great dresser or a fashion maven is not one of them”. Whatever Bernie wears his humbleness is endearing and it looks like Balenciaga thinks so too. He is definitely the most unexpected fashion muse of this year, maybe even ever!

Her Campus magazine