This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Christmas can be an overwhelming time with deadlines, tedious family events and heavy spending approaching. It’s hard to befestive when everyone’s feeling jolly and you’re… well, not. Here are 7 fun Christmas activities to cheer you up and beat the winter blues.

Christmas market

Bristol Christmas market is lovely to wander round to get you in the festive spirit. Grab a Bratwurst and a pint and see what the stalls have to offer; we would highly reccommend the flavoured fudge (salted caramel is a winner). If you’re feeling more adventurous, Bath is a 10 minute train journey away and also has a lovely market that is larger and more varied than the Bristol one.

(Photo Credit: www.bemmie.co.uk)

Baking gingerbread men (or women!)

Gingerbread is not only delicious and fun to make but you can package it nicely and give it to friends and family as a gift. Making a little family of gingerbread or even a house (a lot harder but great fun) can help to pass a gloomy day. Here’s a recipe so you can channel your inner Mary Berry.

(Photo Credit: www.bbcfood.co.uk)

Crack out the carols

Whether you’re Mariah Carey or more like Honey G, a bit of carol singing will lift your spirits. Put on a Christmas playlist and rediscover the classics or if you want to go to a service, Bristol Cathedral are having one on the 8th December.

(Photo Credit: www.festivalsadvices.co.uk)

Mulled wine and a movie

Love Actually, The Grinch, Elf, Miracle on 34th Street, The Greatest Store in the World, Home Alone – the list is endless. We are spoiled for choice with amazing Christmas films and they are a fab way of getting your housemates together and having a snuggle on the sofa. Add mulled wine and mince pies and you have the perfect festive night in!

(Photo Credit: www.hexjam.co.uk)

Winter Walk

The cold weather isn’t an excuse to stay indoors all day. Wrap up warm and get out of the house to release those endorphins! A walk through Clifton is beautiful at this time of year with the festive decor. Finish your wander with a stop at a quaint cafe and treat yourself to a hot drink.

(Photo Credit: www.bidcliftonvilage.co.uk)

Write Christmas cards

They might seem old fashioned, but Christmas cards are a thoughtful and kind way to wish someone a merry Christmas. Pop them through your neighbours door and hand them out to family and friends and spread the cheer! It’s also super fun to make your own cards with glitter, ribbon and coloured pens. Cards are way more personal than emails or texts and it could make someone’s day!

(Photo Credit: www.handimania.co.uk)

Donate to charity

Being charitable is important all year round. However, Christmas is a good time to start regular donations to a charity, such as a homeless shelter. Instead of treating yourself to your daily coffee or buying that new handbag, save the money and donate it to a good cause, like St. Mungo‘s or the NSPCC. Also, if you see a rough sleeper in Bristol you can let The Julian Trust know and they will do their best to help them. 

(Photo Credit: www.littleangels.co.uk)

Self care is super important for your mental and physical health, so this Christmas remember to look after yourself as well as others.

Abbie is Lifestyle Editor for HC Bristol, currently studying English at the University of Bristol.
Her Campus magazine