Entering Finals Week…With a Concussion?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

The last month of college is never fun. Ever. Like, you have all of these events happening the last week of March and all the way through April, and then you have finals on top of all of that. Why do we need all of this? I understand schools want to make the end of the year fun, but having multiple events on a normal day is stressful enough. When you throw all of these events in to the last month, you add even more stress to your students. Plus, when you get a concussion, you are not really supposed to deal with all of that stress.

Here at Brenau, we have a lot going on in the spring semester, even in the last month. In the past month, we have had Cotillion, many college rowing teams coming and going from our dining hall, many food poisoning cases, Honors Convocation, leadership applications for various positions were sent out, and earlier today, Class Day and May Day festivities for Alumnae Reunion Weekend. Not to mention, there is the busy No Means No Week hosted campus by Her Campus Brenau. Now, do not get me wrong. I love going through all of this, but it is a lot for one person to handle. I have had a concussion for the last week and a half; I should not be doing all of this.

Now, let me tell you a little bit about this joyous concussion I have. Exactly a week and a half ago, I came down with a bad case of food poisoning at an appointment I had on campus for one of my many classes. Instead of being a smart student and calling a friend to drive across our small campus and pick me up, I walked back to my dorm at the other end of campus by myself. I made it just over half way back to my room, and I passed out. Luckily, I was inside, but the after effects are still not fun. I hit my head hard and gave myself a concussion. I landed on the carpet, and I still have this concussion today while writing this article. Normally my concussions do not last this long. This should have been gone by Wednesday, but no; it is still here, and I have finals in a week.

Finals are the week after next, and I do not know when this concussion will subside. If I did not have to deal with this concussion, I would actually be looking forward to finals week. I know. I am absolutely crazy, but I would only be looking forward to finals because that means I get to go home for a few weeks before returning back to campus for my second year of college. I will not lie, I am nervous about my finals this because I cannot really study with this concussion. I overdid it today at my first Class Day and May Day ceremonies. I do know that one thing is for certain, though: finals week will be interesting if this concussion does not subside beforehand.

Avery Dill

Brenau '21

I am a Mass Communications major and Music minor sophomore/junior at Brenau University. I am also the Senior Editor for the HC Brenau chapter,  an HC Campus Trendsetter, HC Chapter Advisor, and an HC Campus Expansion Assistant.
My name is Kenya Hunter! I am a freshman at Brenau University as a Mass Communications major. My focus is journalism!