Career Beginnings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

Certain colleges will open doors for their students, and I have found the perfect school to do that for me. Attending Brenau as a Mass Communication major has definitely given me opportunities that I probably would not have had anywhere else. In a previous article I wrote from last semester, I mentioned that I had found my home away from home, and that statement continues to ring true to this day. I say this because my Media Writing class gave me the opportunity to write a news feature on whatever say this because m Media Writing class gave me the opportunity to write a news feature on whatever I wanted, and I chose the United States Olympic Figure Skating Team.

Most people will probably wonder why this particular assignment could be such a big deal, and that is why I am writing this article now. Over the past week, with my computer troubles from last week, I had to re-write that entire article. In a way, it worked out in my favor because I was able to work on my interviews some more. Anyway, I was able to contact the Figure Skating Team’s Public Relations Coordinator, Michael Terry. I will not lie, I forgot how to be a human being for the first 10 minutes after opening up that email from him.

I went full on fan girl when I saw his name pop up in my inbox. I forgot how to formulate words or even type using a keyboard. I even let out a little scream, and for that, I hope nobody on my hall heard me. It was a good thing he emailed me back instead of calling because it was like gibberish running through my head. What do you do when one of your potential future bosses or coworkers emails you to help you out on an assignment? After I graduate, I want a digital media or video production internship with the United States Olympic Committee, so just getting that was truly a dream come true. I am still in shock, and he emailed me on Tuesday, so it is just so overwhelmingly great to talk to one of my idols.

Avery Dill

Brenau '21

I am a Mass Communications major and Music minor sophomore/junior at Brenau University. I am also the Senior Editor for the HC Brenau chapter,  an HC Campus Trendsetter, HC Chapter Advisor, and an HC Campus Expansion Assistant.
My name is Kenya Hunter! I am a freshman at Brenau University as a Mass Communications major. My focus is journalism!