Campus Profile: Amanda Lammers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

This  week Her Campus Brenau has chosen Amanda Lammers as our highlight profile! Some of  you  all  might  know  her  as  the  vice  president  of  student  services.  Amanda  Lammers is not only a huge help to all the women at Brenau; she is a mother of two beautiful sons Chase,  15 and Noel, 8, a friend, a counselor, and strong believer in equality. Through this interview you  will quickly find out why Amanda Lammers was chosen to be our highlight profile.    

Where are you from?  

“I am from Cleveland, Ga which is about 30 minutes North from Gainesville”       

Why do you like Brenau?   

“I  love  so  many  things  about  Brenau. It’s hard to narrow it down. I love  the fact that our student body is so supportive of one another.”   

What made you want to be Vice President of student services?   

“I  am an ambitious person and I think a lot of times women tend to back off and apologize for their ambition but I learned that I am not going to do that. I realize that I can impact students  at a greater level. I  think it is very important that at a women’s college that a women is a women  on the president’s cabinet.”  

How is it being a mother to an African American Boy?  

“No one has ever said anything ugly to my face. I know people give us looks and I know people  talk about us behind our backs but you just come to understand that the  love you have for your  child  is  all  that  matters.  His  birth  grandmother  asked  us,  “How  are  you  going  to  raise  a  black  boy?”  and I stumbled a little bit and said “ Ma’am I can sit here and make up all kinds of things and  tell  you  how I have this plan and how I am going to this but that is not true I am going to  love him. And that’s all I can do and that’s all I have done.”   

What is the hardest part about raising an African American boy?  

“The hardest part has to be the barber shop for me. His hair has been the biggest challenge. His curls are like the spring in an ink pen. But I have no doubt in my mind that Noel is my child.”  

The theme for the school year is “Conversation, not confrontation.” What is the purpose of conversation not confrontation?  

“I  saw so many awful things happen this summer and we live in this social media world where  people write things to each that they would probably never say to each other’s face and I believe  that  we  are  never  going  to  change  hearts  and  change  minds  if  we  come  at  people  in  a  confrontational way. But if you can  talk  to someone and say this is my  experience and that you  can people see that this is really  happening instead of attacking. I just don’t think that attack will  get the change we need to see.”  

Is this where you imagined yourself to be when you were younger?   

“Yes and no. I do  think I always saw myself working with college students but maybe not in this capacity. But there is no other job for me!”

My name is Kenya Hunter! I am a freshman at Brenau University as a Mass Communications major. My focus is journalism!