Brenau Basketball Lands a SSAC Recognition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

Brenau senior Briah Woods has had a successful year thus far on and off the court. She has been at Brenau for three years on scholarship. Playing basketball has been apart of her life for a long time and her success on the court definitely shows how much basketball means to her. Coming from Acworth, Georgia and a previous school before, she thought she could bring something positive to the Brenau basketball program. The week of January 30th- February 5th, Woods was named Southern States Athletic Conference player of the week. During this week, she averaged 20 points and 11 rebounds, a double-double. She also averaged 87% from the free throw line. Close to perfection. I sat down with the senior to ask a few questions and get to know her a little better.

Q: What has basketball always meant to you ?

A: Basketball has always been a resource for me to stay active and keep me structured.

Q: It seems you did not begin your schooling here at Brenau and were a transfer. What reasons did you leave your previous school and why did you choose Brenau ? 

A:I was actually cut from my last team. I chose Brenau University because my AAu coach helped me get in contact with the school and coach. It was also close to my home.

Q: What positive things do you think you think you brought to the table for Brenau basketball this year? 

A: I feel like I have brought another source of scoring, leadership, and toughness to the team.

Q: How will you feel now that basketball is nearing an end for you? 

A: It’s a bittersweet feeling knowing that I only have a couple weeks left in my basketball career. I have really grown to love this sport. 

My name is Kenya Hunter! I am a freshman at Brenau University as a Mass Communications major. My focus is journalism!