Wonderful Winter Skincare Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

I used to be a victim of ignorance. Long ago, I kept my skincare routine the same during the summer and the winter. Now, you don’t have to tell me how horrible this is. Believe me, I know. Now.

As the cooler weather begins to settle in, it is imperative that we take the proper steps in taking care of our beautiful skin. Here are some of my favorite skin care tips to follow during the winter months!

1. M-O-I-S-T-U-R-I-Z-E.

Moisturizing is the most important thing…possibly, ever. Whether it’s your face or your body, DO IT. During the winter months, it’s important to look for moisturizers that are more hydrating and heavy (even if you have oily or combination skin.) Obviously, if you have oily or combination skin, you won’t be reaching for one as heavy as one recommended for dry or normal skin users. Try to find one that hydrates, but won’t make you oily. An oil based product is optimal for moisture, but if your skin can’t handle it, opt for a water-based moisturizer.

2. Steer clear of hot showers (and baths).

Yes I know, a hot bubble bath on a cold December day sounds delightful. And to keep everyone happy, I say indulge once. But don’t do it too often. Apply Argon Oil after your warm bath/shower in order to keep moisture locked in. Hot water is dehydrating, and dehydration is the LAST THING we want during the winter. Sometimes it might be better to just take a quick but effective lukewarm or cool shower. This way, you are motivated to get out faster and you help the environment! Yay, healthy Earth!

3.Don’t forget to exfoliate!

Exfoliation is so important, ladies! It gets rid of dead skins cells that make your skin look dull and lack that luster that we desperately want in the cooler months. Make sure your exfoliator of choice is not too irritating on your skin, though. Many exfoliators are very abrasive and actually make small cuts on your skin when you apply them. If you are not sure if your exfoliator is abrasive, try to invest in a Glycolic acid cleanser which will likely do the same job of improving your skin texture and tone. You can also make your own exfoliator!

My favorite recipe: (FYI, I have really dry skin in the winter. If you lean towards more oily skin, this might not be ideal for you.)

• Honey
  • Sugar
  • Olive Oil
  1.  Put 2 tbsps. of Olive oil, 1 tbsps. of honey, and 1 tbsp. of sugar into a small bowl.
  2. Mix them all together until it is a paste like substance.
  3. Store it at room temperature, and it should be good for a month.
  4. Use it as you normally would an exfoliator (about 2 -3 times a week, since this is gentle).

Also, don’t forget to exfoliate your lips as well. You can use the same recipe I gave you, or you can try the LUSH Lip Scrub. (Mint Juleps is my favorite.)

Alright, gals…There are obviously more options for you and your skin. But if you follow these steps, than your skin should look healthy and radiant – and more importantly, feel good! (P.S. Don’t forget to use SPF! The sun is still harmful, even in the winter.)

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.