What You Need To Know About the Syrian Conflict

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

For months the Syrian Civil war and its ramifications has been spattered over the news.  There has been a particular emphasis placed on the tragic plight of the Syrian refugees, many of which are currently trying to seek refuge in Europe.  Any conflict can seem confusing; especially when it is so far removed from one’s day to day life.  So, if you are interested in finally understanding what is going on and want to gain a better understanding of the current climate in Syria and how it is affecting the rest of the world, here are a few things you should know about the conflict.  

Where is Syria?

Here is Syria’s location on the world map:  

Brief history: 

The Syrian Civil War began in 2011 when Syria joined in the wave of revolutions happening across the Arab world now known as the Arab Spring.  After a severe government clampdown in Syria against the revolutionaries, different armed rebel groups started forming, eventually leading to full-scale warfare.  One of these groups is ISIS.  The Syrian government has been committed to fighting these groups and ending all opposition to the government.  They have taken extreme and relentless measures to do so, going as far as employing chemical weapons.  In an odd twist, ISIS has been indirectly aiding the Syrian government by also fighting against rebel units, leading the government to take a relaxed stance towards the group.  The world has been quick to take sides, with countries such as US supporting moderate rebels and Russia supporting the Syrian government.  

Global effects:

One of the major effects of the conflict is that Europe is facing a huge migrant crisis.  Many of those migrants are refugees coming from Syria to escape the turmoil in their country and start afresh.  More than 4 million Syrians have fled their country, the majority to neighboring nations such as Turkey, Lebanon and Jordan.   Those countries, overwhelmed with an influx of refugees, cannot adequately provide for their Syrian newcomers.  As a result, many Syrians are choosing to make the dangerous journey to Europe.  No doubt you remember this heartbreaking photo coming up on your Facebook feed.  The climate in Syria is really bad and people are desperate to get out.  Meanwhile, Europe is struggling agree on best strategy to handle the situation.  Some countries, such as Germany, are committed to making refugees welcome in Europe.  However, others such as Hungary are putting their foot down.   There is no easy solution, and as of now, it looks as if it could be a while until a consensus is made on how to cope with the thousands of migrants trying to earn asylum in the EU.   

Moving forward and seeking a resolution:

Today, Saturday, November 14th, diplomats from across the globe met in Vienna to discuss a timetable to ensure a cease-fire in Syria.  Due to yesterday’s Paris attacks, there is increased pressure to solve the conflict in Syria.  According to Syria’s president, Bashar Assad, the attacks on Paris, for which the Islamic-state claimed responsibility, were a direct result of French support for insurgent groups in Syria.  The conflict has turned into somewhat of a proxy war, with different countries taking different sides.  This has only increased tensions surrounding the conflict, making it difficult for agreement on ways to diffuse the conflict.  However, these talks are hopefully an indication of a commitment to dissolve the conflict as soon as possible.

Sources: 

TIME

Washington Post 

Washington Post 

BBC News 

New York Times 

Skimm 

The World Post 

I am a double major in Anthropology and International/Global Studies with a minor in Creativity, the Arts, and Social Transformation at Brandeis University. As a native Southern Californian, I have a born passion for avocados and an innate dread of cold weather. In my free time I love cooking (with avocados of course), drawing and writing.