The Week in News 3/22

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.
Goodmorning collegiettes! Here’s a short list on a few global events of the week: 

• Over the past few months, Yemen has descended into a large scale conflict bewteen several different groups, and it’s just been getting worse.  Earlier this week, Saudi-Arabia launched airstrikes against a rebel group in Yemen known as the Houthis. It’s pretty complicated, but luckily the BBC made a guide.  

• A Germanwings flight crashed on Tuesday, killing all passengers and crew onboard.  There is current evidence that suggests that the co-pilot deliberately crashed the plane.

• Amanda Knox was acquitted by Italy’s highest court on Friday.  You might recall that Knox was arrested in 2007 for the murder of her roommate while abroad in Italy.  For more on the ruling, click here

• It seems like most of the world has forgotten about Ebola, but it’s still a major problem in some countries.  Thankfully it’s been on the decline for the last few weeks, thanks to extreme safety measures like the ones being taken in Sierra Leon.  This nation has mandated a strict lockdown for its citizens in an attempt to cub the spread of the disease.

• An Indiana law that makes it possible for businesses to refuse service to gay people has received harsh criticism by people all over the country.  While it’s unfortunate that this law was made in the first place, we can be thankful that people are actively speaking against it.  Read more about the backlash on this law here

• NASA just sent an American and a Russian on a historic journey into space.  The pair will be spending a whole year at the International Space Station, longer than any human has ever been in space before.  

I am a double major in Anthropology and International/Global Studies with a minor in Creativity, the Arts, and Social Transformation at Brandeis University. As a native Southern Californian, I have a born passion for avocados and an innate dread of cold weather. In my free time I love cooking (with avocados of course), drawing and writing.