Valentine’s Day through the Years

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Aren’t we all a bit of a romantic? Who doesn’t fawn over roses or indulge in that savory heart-shaped box of Russell’s decadent chocolates or embrace Taylor Swift and Taylor Lautner’s on-screen Valentine’s Day romance? While some may not want to admit this mushy side, Valentine’s Day may just be the ideal time to showcase this softer side. While chocolates, flowers and romantic comedies have remained consistent throughout Valentine’s past, the way that we celebrate has undeniably evolved from childhood to adulthood. Stroll down memory lane by taking a look at the following Valentine’s trends through the years.

Elementary School: Valentines for the class

Perusing the aisles of CVS never felt quite as pressure-filled as it did during the days prior to Valentine’s Day in elementary school. Those cards with the accompanying piece of candy reflected television and other popular trends. You brought in just enough for the class and prepared to receive twenty cards upon exchange in the classroom.

Middle School: The Themed School Dance

Guys on one side of the scarcely decorated gym and girls giggling on the other side. Small Valentine’s traditions like that of card-giving in elementary school are no longer followed. Instead, Valentine’s Day involves teacher-chaperones, pink and red table cloths, and the Electric Slide.

High School: Candy Grams

Backsliding to elementary traditions. Student clubs might have sold candy grams during lunch periods where  students could anonymously fill out the card and send it along with candy to a friend or significant other.

College: Dinner Dates and the Initiation of Galentine’s Day

Valentine’s Day might be taken seriously by some and totally ignored by others. Couples might opt for a romantic dinner on the town followed by a movie or stroll through the city. In college, Valentine’s Day might also double as a day dedicated to your best friends and include shopping, mani/pedi’s, and brunch.

However you spend it, enjoy an abundance of chocolate, the sweet smell of roses, and the company of those who make you happiest this Valentine’s Day!

Brittany is a senior at Brandeis University. She loves looking for exciting new volunteer opportunities in and around her community, spreading school spirit working in Brandeis admissions, and sharing memories from her semester abroad in Denmark. In her free time, you might find her browsing Spotify for new music, scouting out hole-in-the-wall food joints, or face-timing with her eleven year old brother. Check her out on Instagram @britt_wolfe for snapshots of her life and if you're hungry, check out her foodstagram @diningonthedaily!
I am a double major in Anthropology and International/Global Studies with a minor in Creativity, the Arts, and Social Transformation at Brandeis University. As a native Southern Californian, I have a born passion for avocados and an innate dread of cold weather. In my free time I love cooking (with avocados of course), drawing and writing.