Valentine’s Baby: The Pros and Cons of Having a Birthday on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

I was born on February 14th, 1998. Luckily, I don’t share the same fate of being given an oddly festive name like my great grandfather, Valentine Alfonzo Bickerstaff, who was also born on Valentine’s Day. However, having a birthday on February 14th can have its pros and cons. So, for those of you who may wonder what it’s like to be a Valentine’s baby, I’ve got some answers.

Cons:

1. Going out to dinner is nearly impossible.

If you want to enjoy a delicious birthday dinner, you will most likely have to make one at home. Everyone knows that dinner reservations are booked pretty far in advance on Valentine’s Day, so getting one on your birthday is going to be tough. In addition, if you do go out for your birthday, you will be surrounded by couples who are expressing their love for each other with excessive PDA, and who really wants that?

Photo courtesy of Tumblr via Giphy 

2. Your friends already have plans.

Your friends who are in a relationship will probably already have plans with their significant other. This can make planning a birthday bash a bit more difficult. 

3. The awkward Valentine card situation.

If you have a birthday on Valentine’s Day, you will have to accept the fact that other people will get more cards than you. However concieted it may sound, watching others get more cards than you on your birthday can be tough at times. For example, my middle and high school did this thing where you could buy cards in the weeks leading up to Valentine’s Day and they would be delivered (anonymously or not) to whomever you wanted. One time, the girl sitting in front of me got over 20 valentines from different guys. Meanwhile, I got a lone pity “Happy Birthday” card from my guidance counselor. Awkward. 

4. Being single on a day that celebrates relationships.

This is a bummer for a lot of people, regardless of whether or not their birthday is on Valentine’s Day. However, I have found that Valentine’s Day isn’t just for people who are in relationships. You can celebrate being single too! Whether you have a gals night or you pig out on heart-shaped chocolates while watching Netflix, you can definitely find a creative way to be festive this Valentine’s season. 

Pros:

1. February 15th, aka the Holy Day of Discounted Candy.

This is a life hack that EVERYONE benefits from. The best part of Valentine’s Day is arguably the day after, when all of the candy goes on sale! Since my birthday is on Valentine’s Day, I happen to be bombarded with candy from friends and family in the days following my birthday, which is AMAZING!!

Photo courtesy of www.reddit.com via Giphy 

2. Everyone is celebrating on your birthday.

Whether they mean to or not, everyone who celebrates Valentine’s Day is also celebrating your birthday! Most people can’t say that millions celebrate on their birthday, but us Valentine’s Day babies sure can.

3. Your birthday is surrounded by beautiful decorations.

Not everyone can say that people across the world decorate or get all dressed up for their birthday. Pretty cool right?

4. Most people are in a loving mood.

Since it is the one day of the year where it is okay to be overly affectionate, most people are pretty happy on Valentine’s Day. This creates a nice atmosphere for you to celebrate your birthday!

Anyone with a holiday birthday knows that it can be tough and weird at times, but when all is said and done, having a Valentine’s birthday is pretty cool. Even if it requires a little extra planning, you can still enjoy your Valentine’s birthday (or just Valentine’s Day in general), regardless of whether or not you have a special someone! So, get out there and embrace the discounted candy that is in your future.