True Life: I Am Addicted to Fashion Blogs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Rep photo credit: Polyvore.com

Although my love for fashion magazines is irreplaceable, I have found a way to supplement my monthly subscriptions with daily inspiration through fashion blogs. With their intriguing photographs, personal anecdotes, and relentless outfit ideas, it’s hard not to be obsessed with them. There is something truly exciting about being able to check various blogs regularly to see what others are wearing, buying, and saying. Over the years I have assembled a hefty crew of my favorites, however since I could spend all day scowering various sites, I limit myself to five a day. Here is a glimpse into my personal addictions in order according to my fixation with them. 

#1: Cupcakes and Cashmere (Cupcakesandcashmere.com)
If you know me, you know about Cupcakes and Cashmere. I have only referenced the blog once so far throughout my Her Campus career, which is a huge shock, because if you talk to my friends, they will confirm that I mention it regularly. Emily Schuman: a Los Angelena (raised in Northern California), amazing cook, designer of a limited addition handbag for Coach, and former Teen Vogue employee (the list could go on and on), is one of my fashion role models. Her blog is home to her chic outfits, craft projects, tasty treats, trends, home renovation projects, beauty tutorials, her “five things,” and more. I love her laid back approach to life and her work, which makes it seem effortless and fun. Cupcakes and Cashmere is the first website I check in the morning and the only website that makes me look forward to starting my day on a fashionable foot. 

#2: The Style Rookie (Thestylerookie.com)
At almost fifteen years old, Tavi Gevinson has already made quite a large impact in the fashion industry with her blog, which she kept a secret from her parents until the New York Times came calling and asked to do a feature on her! Since then many other doors have opened as she was Mullevy sister’s muse for the Rodarte for Target line and regularly sits in the front row at many shows during Fashion Week. Her exciting life and eclectic outfits are all documented on her blog, which is always a great deal of fun to read. If I had to describe Tavi in one word I would call her a free spirit. Her creative personality is clearly resembled in her style that is multi-faceted, youthful, and colorful. Her outfits constantly serve as a reminder about the importance of wearing what you love without fear of being judged. My favorite part about The Style Rookie: how she juxtaposes sophistication with youth. In one post she might include pictures from a runway show and pictures of dolls, which keeps things fresh and funky, just like her. 

#3: Cocorosa (Mypreciousconfessions.blogspot.com)
Chantal’s blog is purely fashion, a place, as she describes, where she can “collect and post [her] daily inspirations, style musings and outfits.” I adore all of the pictures she takes and the ones taken of her in her stylish outfits. She gravitates towards tailored feminine pieces and always pairs them with incredible shoes… what’s not to love? Her ever-present smile exudes happiness, which always puts me in a great mood when I check Cocorosa. Not to mention, she often incorporates nature into the background of many photographs, which adds a sense of zen to the blog, thus making it the perfect site to check when you need a dose of excitement and relaxation all at the same time. 

#4: The Sartorialist (Thesartorialist.blogspot.com)
One of the reasons I am such a slow walker is because I love taking in the scenery and most importantly, the outfits… I am a relentless people watcher. I mean what better place to find fashion inspiration than among pedestrians, classmates, or strangers? I constantly find certain aspects of people’s ensembles that catch my eye and play a mind game where I test myself to see if I can recognize the brands of accessories people might be carrying or articles of clothing they might be wearing. Another man, Scott Schuman, can relate to my obsession with people watching, which is evidenced through his creation of his blog. Initially started as a way to “share photos of people that [he] saw on the streets of New York that [he] thought looked great,” Scott’s blog, The Sartorialist, has evolved into a huge phenomenon and has even influenced the creation of other various street fashion blogs. Scott’s photographs truly show the diversity among individual’s style and that the sidewalk is truly the best runway. 

#5: Hand it Over (Handmeover.blogspot.com)
I discovered Wendy’s blog a couple of years ago, when she was a runner up for one of Teen Vogue’s blog competitions, and have been a loyal follower ever since. The photos she takes and the ones her friends take of her are both incredible. While her blog is mostly fashion, she does include interesting photos that document her various adventures through her hometown of San Francisco, which almost make me feel like I know her because I have this incredible ability to keep up with her life through pictures. While her dedication to her blog is evident, so is her dedication to putting together simple pieces that look cohesive, chic, and comfortable. Most of all, I admire the fact that she has been able to balance her blog and high school career simultaneously and has made it look so easy. 

While this article is not intended to turn you into a fashion blog fiend like myself, I hope that you check out at least one of these amazing sites that might possibly end up inspiring you like they do me on a daily basis. Blog on Brandesians. 

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.
Abigail Katznelson is a Senior at Brandeis University studying Economics and Psychology. She recently joined the Her Campus Team and is so excited to have been recognized by Brandeis as an official charter! She is a member of the Brandeis Student Union, Creative Advertising Director for Student Events, and the Vice President of Sigma Delta Tau Delta Gamma Chapter. Her interests include singing, shopping, writing and exploring exotic foods. She will attend Brandeis’ International Business School next year as a participant in Brandeis’ 5-Year Masters program in International Finance.