This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Happy October everyone! Fall has officially begun and sweater weather has finally arrived. Now it is time to celebrate the change of seasons the right way and begin embracing fall fashion. I have seen some great fall outfits around campus and these sightings of the occasional scarf layered with a comfy jacket have definitely inspired me to transition from my summer to fall wardrobe. Here are some tips on how to incorporate the must haves from both seasons into cute and practical outfits!

A dress (particularly T-shirt dresses) worn with boots or sneakers

I love wearing comfy t-shirt dresses on days when the weather is cool and breezy but also sunny. These summery dresses when combined with a short pair of boots or cute sneakers are a perfect outfit for these early fall days.

Cardigans

This is pretty self explanatory, but this combination provides a lot of range. You can wear cardigans with leggings, jeans, or over dresses. Also, cardigan materials vary for summer or winter temperatures, allowing you to chose your cardigan and outfit style depending on the amount of coziness you crave.

Lightweight jackets

Both jean and anorak jackets are easy to pull on over summer clothing to wear on the colder days or on the nighttime walk back from the library.

Sweaters worn over dresses

This combination is great for days when you aren’t ready for tights, but still want to wear your favorite summer sundress without freezing the entire day. Finding a loosely fitting sweater that goes well with the pattern or color of your dress is great way to rock the layers in preparation for the unpredictable New England weather.

Scarves

Scarves are a classic transitional piece to fall clothing. When scarves are paired with any of the outfits mentioned before, it is clear that fall is here! 

Cassie is a sophomore at Brandeis University from Maine, double majoring in environmental studies and history. When Cassie is not combating climate change with Brandeis Climate Justice or attending a zumba class or intramural soccer game, she can be found wandering Sachar woods, taking note on the tree species there or discussing feminism with friends in upper Usdan over a quesadilla and smoothie from Curritos.