Top Picks for Fall 2014 TV Series

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

With the number of brand new shows starting this fall, you might be asking yourself, “to dvr, or not to dvr?” or “how do I choose? they all air at the same time, just on different networks!”Well, look no further because the rest of this article gives you the basics on our top six picks to watch — including the trailer (just click on the title of the show), premiere date & time, synopsis, and obviously some awesome gifs. Check it out!

Madam Secretary (CBS)

Premieres: Sunday, Sept. 21 at 8/7c

Synopsis: Tea Leoni plays a former CIA agent whose former boss, now the president of the United States (Keith Carradine), asks her to take on the role of Secretary of State after an accident claims the life of the office’s previous occupant. Using her no-nonsense, unconventional attitude toward politics, she shakes things up in Washington, D.C. while also juggling her home life as a wife and a mother.

[pagebreak]

Gotham (FOX)Premieres: Monday, Sept. 22 at 8/7c

Synopsis: This noir crime drama acts as the origin story of future Gotham police commissioner Jim Gordon. Ben McKenzie stars as Gordon, a fresh-faced police detective whose life begins to change when he and his partner, the brash Harvey Bullock (Donal Logue), start investigating the murder of the parents of none other than a young Bruce Wayne (David Mazouz). However, Gotham isn’t just about Gordon’s rise through the ranks of Gotham City’s PD; it also promises to tell the origin stories of several DC Comics’ villains, including Catwoman (Camren Bicondova), the Penguin (Robin Lord Taylor), and the Riddler (Cory Michael Smith).

[pagebreak]

How to Get Away With Murder (ABC)

Premieres: Thursday, Sept. 25 at 10/9c

Synopsis: This legal thriller stars Viola Davis as a serious-as-the-death-penalty law school professor whose students vie for her approval and a desk at her prestigious law firm. But their biggest lessons are learned outside the classroom, when they get caught up in a murder plot and, presumably, must figure out how to get away with it. Expect Scandal-sized twists and Grey’s-like drama

[pagebreak]

Gracepoint (FOX)

Premieres: Thursday, Oct. 2 at 9/8c

Synopsis: When a young boy is found dead on an idyllic beach, a major police investigation gets underway in the small California seaside town where the tragedy occurred. Soon deemed a homicide, the case sparks a media frenzy, which throws the boy’s family into further turmoil and upends the lives of all of the town’s residents.

[pagebreak]

Bad Judge (NBC)

Premieres: Thursday, Oct. 2 at 9/8c

Synopsis: This comedy stars Kate Walsh as Rebecca Wright, one of L.A.’s most respected criminal court judges. But here’s the catch: While Rebecca totally and completely has it together in her work life, her personal life is a hot mess. She’s flaky, she sleeps around, and she parties like she’s still in college (which means a lot of hangovers). John Ducey, Tone Bell, and Theodore Barnes also star.

[pagebreak]

Red Band Society (FOX)

Premieres: Wednesday, Sept. 17 at 9/8c

Synopsis: Set in the children’s ward of a Los Angeles hospital (and narrated by a kid who’s in a coma), Red Band Society is a coming-of-age drama that follows a group of patients as they face life-changing – and life-threatening – challenges. Griffin Gluck, Zoe Levin, Charlie Rowe, Astro, Ciara Bravo, and Nolan Sotillo star as the young protagonists, while Dave Annable, Rebecca Rittenhouse, and Octavia Spencer take on the adult roles of the doctors and nurses who mentor them through the ups and downs of adolescence.

Sources: http://www.tvguide.com/special/fall-preview/new-shows.aspx

I love watching movies, reading, writing, being a ginger, singing, dancing, acting, and attending Brandeis University.