Tips for Your Best LinkedIn Profile

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Connection Etiquette:

On LinkedIn, one of the biggest indicators of a person’s clout is how many connections they have. Many people care about connecting with as many peers and co-workers as possible because having that “500+” count on your profile is big boost to your professional network. Some people are “connect-happy”, sending invites to anyone remotely related to them and those they have met only once. Others are more wary, concerned with having a working relationship with someone before they connect. It may be due to the practices of the person who helped me set up my own LinkedIn profile, but I have always been of the mindset that 1) anyone who goes to your university is fair game, and 2) the minimum requirement for all other connections are having met in person at least once.

Profile Photo:

It’s important to find a photo that is the perfect mix of professional and casual. You don’t want it to be from a black tie event, but you also don’t want to use a grainy photo from graduation. If you have a friend who’s handy with a camera, ask them to take a nice photo of you in front of a simple background, like a solid colored wall, or if you have some money to spare go to a mall and get a professional headshot.

Work and Activity Details:

It is important to include as many details as you can when adding a job or activity to your profile. That means location, dates of employment, and a number of bullet points itemizing your responsibilities. If you have any awards, such as Dean’s List, make sure to include these on your profile as well!

Endorsements:

Fill out your profile even more by adding skills for your connections to endorse, and return the favor by endorsing your connections when you get the chance. Don’t be worried that it’s weird to randomly endorse someone for a skill, because it is not. It’s more important to be an active member on LinkedIn, and both give and get endorsements. 

Image Sources:https://media.licdn.com/mpr/mpr/p/5/005/081/1f8/05da5f5.jpg http://anne…

I am a Junior at Brandeis University who is passionate about writing and who loves surfing the web for useful articles and having fun doing what I like.