Survival strategies for successful studying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.
Bottom Line…finals are a time of great stress! Sometimes you are so focused on studying for final exams and writing term papers, that food is not a priority. Your diet is put on the back burner while you concentrate on getting a good grade. However, your food choices can have a big impact on your performance. That’s right, what you put into your body can directly impact how you feel and prepare for your finals! So follow these simple studying strategies to help you ace your exams:

Do not skip meals: If you skip a meal, then your blood sugar and energy level will drop making focusing and studying more difficult. Try to eat three meals a day with well-chosen snacks to keep your energy level up. Remember breakfast is the most important meal of the day and should not be skipped! *Brandeis Dining will be handing out bags of trail mix bags to students in the library on Wednesday and/or Thursday this week to wish people good luck on finals. Make sure to keep an eye out when your snack cravings kick in.  

Stay well hydrated: It is very common to mistake hunger for thirst and eat when you are not hungry. Carry a low-calorie beverage such as water and/or green tea to replenish your fluids. Have a water bottle with you always to ensure you have easy access. The hydration station in Sherman is a great way to start your meals. You can try the concept on your own by adding fresh fruit to your water bottle!        

Make time for exercise!  Use exercise as a break from studying. This is a great way to relieve stress, keep the extra weight off, and stay focused. Forget the Bran Van, walking around campus will help your mind and body stay on track. If you need a break from studying try doing some jumping jacks, going for a quick walk, or walking up and down the stairs!

Do not start a diet:  Times of stress (i.e. finals) are not the time to start anything new. You do not want to set yourself up for failure, so focus on eating balanced meals with your plate containing  1/2 fruit and veggies, 1/4 protein, 1/4 grain. 

Get enough Zzzz’s: That’s right, research shows that if you do not get enough sleep, then you will not only have difficulty with concentration, but you will also crave high calorie foods.

Snack wisely: Not all snacks are created equal. Choose snacks that have a balance of protein and carbohydrates to keep your energy level steady. Good snack choices include:
  1. Crackers with cheese
  2. Hummus and vegetables
  3. Peanut butter on a mini whole wheat bagel
  4. Oatmeal with a handful of nuts 
  5. Whole grain cereal with low-fat milk
  6. Cottage cheese and fruit
  7. Yogurt and low-fat granola
  8. Hard boiled eggs
  9. low-sodium deli meat lettuce wraps

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.