This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.
Can you smell it? Can you feel it? Spring is in the air and here to stay (fingers crossed). After a winter filled with Mother Nature taking out her wrath on the Northeast and particularly Bostonians, that light at the end of the tunnel that every optimist has used as incentive to help them survive the winter is finally visible to everyone. While April showers can be deceiving and bring back all too recent memories of the bone-chilling winter, those once occasional warm days are becoming frequent and some May flowers are even blooming early. 

Chapel’s Field and The Great Lawn

Both of these fields have become staples of spring at Brandeis and are well suited to accommodate students who yearn to get in touch with their active side by tossing around a Frisbee or playing pick-up soccer. Not quite ready to channel your inner David Beckham? Chapel’s Field and The Great Lawn are also great locations for those of us who have become vitamin D deficient from hibernating in our dorm room all winter and want to soak up some sun. 

Walking Instead of “Bran-Vanning”

Remember those really cold mornings (by remember, I mean last week) when you couldn’t bear the thought of trudging from Mandel to Massell? So, you planned your schedule accordingly to leave just enough time to catch the BranVan and save yourself the frostbite and change of socks. Now that the sun is finally shining and the breeze no longer stings your ears but rather sweeps your hair nicely away from your face, you feel it necessary to take full advantage of it. Walking around campus is not only an easy way to fit exercise into your hectic finals schedule, but you’ll almost definitely run into a familiar face who is coincidently heading in the same direction as you and this is the perfect opportunity to catch up.

Escape the Library

We all know that a library can feel confining and stuffy and can even be distracting, so why not introduce yourself to the picnic tables scattered across campus. Grab your initially intimidating and lengthy textbook and head outside, you might even find the read more relaxing than stressful.

On that note, have a picnic!

Any extra points? Whocash? Or even one of those green to-go containers? Gather some friends and an assortment of food and head outside to eat. As enticing as Sherman and Usdan are after endless of months of being confined to them for every meal, having lunch outside is not only an ideal way to bask in the spring sunshine, but also allow you to catch some fresh air in between classes.

Need a quick change of scenery?

With transportation having been stunted throughout the winter due to innumerable snow days and sidewalks not quite clear enough to walk on, the snow has finally melted which makes it the perfect time to talk a walk into Waltham. Go ahead- indulge yourself by strolling over to In-A-Pickle one Sunday morning for that long-awaited nutella-stuffed French toast that you’ve been craving.

How do you plan to kick off spring at Brandeis?
Brittany is a senior at Brandeis University. She loves looking for exciting new volunteer opportunities in and around her community, spreading school spirit working in Brandeis admissions, and sharing memories from her semester abroad in Denmark. In her free time, you might find her browsing Spotify for new music, scouting out hole-in-the-wall food joints, or face-timing with her eleven year old brother. Check her out on Instagram @britt_wolfe for snapshots of her life and if you're hungry, check out her foodstagram @diningonthedaily!
I am a Junior at Brandeis University who is passionate about writing and who loves surfing the web for useful articles and having fun doing what I like.