Shay Hunter ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Name: Jemesh “Shay” Hunter

Year: 2015

Hometown: Atlanta, Georgia.

Major: International Global Studies with a minor in Theater. 

Her Campus: What attracted you to Brandeis University?

Jemesh “Shay” Hunter: Honestly, it was the theater at this school. When I was going in for my second round of Posse Scholarship interviews, I had to choose two schools to look at: I picked out Boston University, but I was still researching for another school. Then I saw Brandeis—it had this incredible brochure that was filled with the theater. And I was like, “This is the one.”

HC: What activities are you involved in on campus?

JH: I’m in the Women of Color Alliance (WOCA) and the Brandeis Black Student Organization (BBSO). I always try to do something in the theater—mainly acting. But this year I took my first stab at directing and directed the Brandeis production of Eve Ensler’s The Vagina Monologues. It was amazing and so fun.

HC: What was the most rewarding part of directing this production?

JH: The lessons I learned. What I mean by that is when you try something new, you learn things that you could have done better. You learn all the different ways in which you could have made something stand out more, or emphasize more. And I think the biggest lesson for me, if I want to go into this field, is the importance of paying attention to detail.

Another rewarding aspect of The Vagina Monologues was meeting so many great people. I got to know women who truly seek understanding their womanhood, and I loved being empowered by other vaginas and finding commonalities between us. It was rewarding to see people evolve in their scripts. They were touched by their own roles, and I don’t think it hit many of the girls until their actual time on stage.

HC: What’s your best Brandeis memory?

JH: Although there are so many moments to mention, I think my best Brandeis memory was during my freshman year. My Posse and I had just received some disturbing news. So we decided to host a fashion show in the undergrounds of North, in the Polaris lounge. That night my Posse reconnected on so many levels that speak to why we still have one common bond today. And besides, I believe I had the best outfits anyways.

HC: What’s one piece of advice you have for incoming freshmen?

JH: GET INVOLVED. Don’t stay at school doing absolutely nothing because you’ll invite yourself to negativity. You’ll attract yourself to what you’re missing instead of attracting yourself to something you like and something you can be involve in. I think it’s very, very important for freshmen to get involved in campus life. 

HC: Where do you see yourself in five years?

JH: I see myself living in California and either working in producing or acting. I’m not sure which one yet, but I see myself in the entertainment industry. With having experience in Development, my goals are to expand on my knowledge and become multi-faceted in this industry.

Quick Facts:

Hidden Talent: I’m really good at the robot and softball.

Favorite Spot on Campus: My freshman year my friends and I would go to the woods in the back of North near Scheffres. We used to go into the woods and talk and just feel what was happening. It was a really nice and serene place. Another spot is the rock near Chums where you can see the entire view of Boston.

Favorite Artist: Beyoncé, of course. And my legend, Whitney Houston. I actually found out Whitney died the weekend I first acted in The Vagina Monologues. It was a really bittersweet night—it was a great show, but we also found out she had passed.

Favorite Senior Week Event: Kickball! I’m looking forward to playing with my Posse.

Favorite Boston Attraction: Boston Commons and the Institute of Contemporary Art.

Favorite Class at Brandeis: Politics of Black Authenticity with Professor Jasmine Johnson.

Mya is a sophomore at Brandeis University. She is an Education major with minors in African and Afro-American Studies and Anthropology. When she’s not writing, you can find Mya playing for the Brandeis women’s soccer team or attempting to navigate Boston. She also enjoys dancing and is a firm believer that what she lacks in technique she can make up in enthusiasm. She’s originally from sunny South Florida and can frequently be seen sporting her winter coat indoors. Follow her on Instagram @myagoodman for sporadic postings of her life!
I am a Junior at Brandeis University who is passionate about writing and who loves surfing the web for useful articles and having fun doing what I like.