This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

You know him, you love him, you wish you had his moves. Who am I talking about? Only Shaquan Perkins, one of Kaos Kids’ founding members! Shaquan is a fun-loving hip hop dancer who knows how to make an impression. If there is loud music, you can bet that Shaquan is there, spreading his passion for dancing. (I am referring to his multiple appearances during Freshman Orientation!) If you haven’t fallen in love with his unique stage presence yet, then I suggest you make it to his next show! I am constantly captivated by Shaquan’s ability to break loose on the dance floor, and had the pleasure of catching up with the sweetheart himself before he performs at this year’s Fall Fest.

Major: Theater Arts
Hometown: Bronx, New York
Class Year: 2013
Clubs/Organizations: Kaos Kids, Adagio E-Board

I’ve seen you perform with Kaos Kids, Brandeis’ Hip Hop Crew. When did you become involved?
My freshman year there was a secret group called ‘The Crew” and I was invited to an audition with my friend Sam, who is also now a member of Kaos Kids. We started dancing for them and “The Crew” eventually turned into Kaos Kids. We just wanted to bring hip-hop to Brandeis.

You have been dancing your entire time here at Brandeis. Did you dance before joining Kaos Kids?
My sophomore year I started dancing with girls at my school who worked with the Alvin Ailey American Dance Company. I had no formal training, but I worked really hard to learn the choreography and I just knew that this was something I wanted to do. It was the best thing that happened to me.

Did you perform in high school?
I did! I worked with Alvin Ailey American Dance Company, Rod Rogers Dance Company and East Village Dance Company. My first ballet recital was at East Village. I was eighteen and on stage with a bunch of fourteen year old girls!!

That is so funny. You are clearly quite the performer; does your major focus in dance?
No, for my major my focus is acting. Dance is on the back burner; it’s mostly for fun. Dancing has always been there with me – I know I can grow and I love having stage presence, but I make mistakes. With acting I’m in the zone. I find ways to bring my personality out with acting and tap into that on a more serious level.

When you’re not performing with Kaos Kids or working with Adagio, where can students see you on campus?
I work at Ollie’s and The Stein. It’s a fun job because I love people and I love interacting with the other students here.

As a senior, is there anything you’d like to say to this year’s first years?
Hi!! Welcome to Brandeis! This is your home and you will find yourself here and if you are ever struggling just go talk to people and know that everyone is here for you. You can come talk to me too!!

P.S. Shaquan gives the best hugs!!

Rachel is a junior math major and premed student at Brandeis University. She is an EMT and recently joined her school's EMS squad. When she's not busy studying, she enjoys blogging, watching sitcoms, drawing zentangles, folding origami, and eating chocolate.