Shana Criscitiello ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Name: Shana Rose Criscitiello

Year: 2018

Hometown: Winchester, MA

Majors:  BS HSSP

Minor:  Not sure yet

Her Campus: What activities are you involved in?

Shana Criscitiello: I know this may sound very cookie cutter, but I really do love to give back to the community. I recently found something that made me feel like I was a part of something important and that I am certainly very passionate about. I am now a campus ambassador working for the Gift of Life organization, trying to educate my Brandeis peers and register donors to give blood cancer patients a second chance at life. Personally, I would love to be called upon as someone’s perfect match to donate stem cells or bone marrow, so maybe this works its way into the “where do you see yourself in ten years“ question because hopefully, I will have the opportunity to help save someone’s mother or brother or friend. It is such a rewarding feeling knowing that my efforts are making a difference in the lives of other’s. Here is my donor circle if you want to check it out! 

Also, I love playing intramural sports and I have racked up quite a few championship t-shirts! 

HC: What has been your favorite Brandeis memory so far?

SC: I love my wild and crazy nights with friends, but something that never fails to leave me relaxed and happy are hammock dates that I have with my friends every once in a while. We find two perfect trees and sway in the wind while we catch up and gossip and doodle in my coloring book and snack on sushi and listen to calm music. I loveee it.

HC: What advice do you have for incoming first years?

SC: Bring extension cords and lots of quarters for laundry. Try things outside of your comfort zone, experience new cultures, adventure with new people, explore yourself. I am not saying that you shouldn’t do your homework or get a good night sleep, but also, don’t be afraid to make memories as well because when it is all over, are you really going to look back and remember the nights that you chose to stay in to study? Probably not, and although you should have some of these nights too, it is okay to be young and a little reckless!! Don’t forget to have fun!

HC: Where do you see yourself in ten years?

SC: This question is hard!!!!!! Hmm, I guess I would have to say something cliché about how I want to have a home and children by then, but also I know I am interested in genetic counseling, so I would hope that my mom-self could double as a genetic counselor.  

Quick Facts:

1) I LOVE FOOD!

2) Me and my two sisters all got matching tattoos together of the Three Sister’s Mountain range in Alberta, Canada. 

3) I am studying abroad in Cape Town, South Africa this spring.

Secret Talent: My secret talents include shopping on a budget and conducting surveys on the black legged tick.

Favorite Movie: She’s the Man — it never gets old!

Favorite Spot on Campus: Shhh it’s not allowed, but I love to go to the top of the fire escape and see the nice view of Boston and the city lights at night!

Favorite Song of the Moment: Roses by the Chainsmokers

Favorite Boston Attraction: I love the North End, it reminds me of when I was in Italy! I always get the nutella or hazelnut gelato!!

Favorite Class at Brandeis: Human Osteology, I love hands on learning!

Prized Possession: My boyfriend’s wardrobe, which I wear every evening after a long day in my fashionable, but not so comfy outfit. Also, my teddy bears Lingy and Tugy who travel everywhere with me (even to college)!

Becca is a health-enthusiast, writer, and college student. She is originally from South Florida and is currently studying at Brandeis University. She also blogs for Huffington Post, enjoys running + yoga, and lives for the beach.