Save the Date! How you can be heard this November 6th, 2012

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Get pumped! The 2012 Elections are just around the corner, and it’s your chance to be heard and make a difference! Did you know that only roughly 50% of registered college-age voters participate in Election Day? Records show that in 2008, less than half of registered college-age female voters actually voted. Seriously, guys – it’s embarrassing. It’s our job to reverse these statistics, and now we have the perfect opportunity to do so.

As a first time voter, I cannot express how excited I am to vote this year. The 2012 Election has proven to be quite the popcorn-worthy, meme-generating spectacle, but the reality is that it will impact our futures as college students and as members of the working world. I wouldn’t miss this for anything – and you shouldn’t, either.

Here’s the scoop on how and where you can cast your vote!

Save the date!
Election Day in Massachusetts is Tuesday, November 6th, 2012.

Register
First thing’s first: Once you become eligible to vote, you still need to register before you can cast your ballot. The Massachusetts voting registration period ends 20 days before the actual election, on October 17, 2012. However, a handful of states such as Ohio offer Election Day voter registration, which allows those who are eligible to both register and vote on Election Day.

Voting Locally
If you are registered to vote in your local municipality, it is likely that you can vote at a nearby location.
For those in MA, simply visit http://wheredoivotema.com/ to find the voting location nearest to you.

Attention Brandeis students: those who are registered to vote in Waltham can conveniently walk down to the Stanley School (250 South Street) to vote. Polls will be open from 7AM – 8PM.

Getting Your Absentee Ballot
If you won’t be present in the city or town that you are registered to vote in on Election Day, you can vote through an absentee ballot.

If you are living in Massachusetts and need an absentee ballot, you must first complete and mail in an Absentee Ballot Application. You can access the form at http://www.sec.state.ma.us/ele/elepdf/absentee_ballot.pdf OR you can mail a handwritten letter/postcard to your town or city clerk with the following information:

1. Your name
  2. The address you used when you first registered to vote
  3. Ward/Precinct, if known
  4. Address where you want your ballot to be sent
  5. Your signature

The MA application deadline is noon on the day before the election. Depending on where you are from, you may have to wait up to two weeks to receive your absentee ballot. So it’s always best to start early!

Be meticulous about filling out your ballot. The New York Times reported that in the 2008 presidential election, approximately 800,000 absentee ballots were rejected due to information errors, missing data, etc. Once you’ve received, completed, and mailed out your absentee ballot, you can track it on this nifty site: http://www.wheredoivotema.com/track/trackmyballot.aspx.

So what are you waiting for? Get out and vote!

Rachel is a junior math major and premed student at Brandeis University. She is an EMT and recently joined her school's EMS squad. When she's not busy studying, she enjoys blogging, watching sitcoms, drawing zentangles, folding origami, and eating chocolate.