Salad Bar Savvy: How to Navigate the Dining Hall Salad Bars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Ever wonder if the salad bar is really as healthy as you think? You’re in luck! The salad bars at Brandeis Dining have a variety of lean proteins, whole grains, and low-fat legumes to keep you going. Its’ colorful offerings in the veggie department are packed with nutrition from vitamin A through E. Let’s take a closer look at the nutritional breakdown and how step by step you can create a healthy salad.

Go green: Start off you salad with greens. Enjoy the light green and crunchy Romaine or the colorful mixed greens with hues of eggplant purple. Spinach is another nutritious option, packed with powerful nutrients and is an excellent source of folate, vitamin A, iron and vitamin K. Like other leafy greens, spinach also provides fiber, magnesium and calcium.

Fill it up with fruits and vegetables: They are low in calories and fat, and provide a great way to add color, flavor and texture plus vitamins, minerals and fiber. Make eating two cups of fruit and two and a half cups of vegetables your daily goal. Red, green or yellow peppers, broccoli or cauliflower florets, carrots, celery, cucumbers, snap peas, and whole radishes will add color, crunch and nutrition to your every bite!

Pack on the protein: Protein is offered in several ways throughout the salad bar. First grilled chicken is a great source of lean protein, providing B12 and 6 for those carnivores. Hard boiled eggs are available to create your own egg salad with olive oil and vinegar or light mayo. One large egg has just 70 calories. Yet, it’s a good source of protein and a source of vitamins A and D (41 IU), B complex vitamins and phosphorus. Beyond that, eggs supply lutein and zeaxanthin, which may promote healthy vision. For vegans and vegetarians, incorporating soy in the diet is an easy way to meet both protein and calcium requirements. Sources include soybeanedamame and tofu.

Don’t ditch the dairy: Low-fat and fat-free dairy foods deliver many important nutrients, including some that we often lack enough of, such as calcium, vitamin D and potassium. Dairy is linked to bone health; a reduced risk of heart disease, osteoporosis and Type 2 diabetes; and lower blood pressure in adults. Did you ever think added cheese to your salad and enjoying a glass of milk with lunch would be so beneficial?

Bring on the beans: From Fava to Kidney, beans are high in protein and soluble fiber, and are a good source of vitamins and minerals. They also are an essential source of protein, iron and zinc for vegetarians. Diets rich in soluble fiber are associated with improved blood glucose control and blood cholesterol levels, and many help fight heart disease. Chick peas, black beans and Lima beans are also just a few of the many variety we have available.

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.