Room Selection Q&A with DCL: What to Expect and How to Prep!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

With room selection right around the corner and a new online system, it is no wonder students have begun panicking. At the end of February break, lottery numbers are released and the housing adventure begins.  This year, DCL threw a knot in the usual panic by moving their system online. Students have made their concerns and confusion clear. Her Campus was fortunate enough to ask DCL some questions about the new process and pick their brain for any advice they may have for students throughout room selection.

Her Campus: what are some changes we can expect to see in room selection process?

Department of Community Living: The biggest change is that students no longer need to be in Sherman ballroom at a designated time.  There’s no waiting in line.  It’s all done from the comfort of wherever you are.  It will be much easier and more convenient for students. 

The other change is that students need to form their roommate groups ahead of time in the system.  Students can request other students they know or they can use the advanced roommate search option to find other students looking for similar housing situations. 

HC: What brought on the change?

DCL: Our students are very comfortable with technology so moving room selection online, like course registration and so many other processes made sense for us.  Overall our goal is to make the process easier and less stressful for students.  With an online system students can select housing from the comfort of wherever they are.  With this system only the student who is selecting for the group needs to log in, so less proxies, and a smaller time demand on students.  It also removes a lot of paper from the process so it’s greener. 

HC: What advice do you have for preventing technical glitches?

DCL: The big thing we’re encouraging all students to do is log on to MyHousing before Room Selection.  Make sure you can get in and don’t have any sign on problems.  Make sure that you can see your Room Selection process and your time.  If you have any issues let DCL know so we can resolve them ahead of time.  

If you are concerned about your connectivity or getting in you can always come to DCL for your Room Selection time.  We will be open.  We’ll have computers available.  We’ll be right there to address any issues you have. 

HC: How has the online system worked so far?

DCL: We’ve been really happy with MyHousing.  We had a group of Community Advisors participate in a test Room Selection and give us their feedback and questions and overall we’ve experienced very few issues. 

HC: How many backup plans should students have? 

DCL: We recommend students have at least 3 plans.  The larger suites tend to go first so having a larger group will show you those options.  As the bigger spaces go you can shrink your group to see smaller spaces.  

As soon as your Room Selection process is open you’ll be able to step in and see what spaces are available.  You just won’t be able to select housing until your time.  So as your time is approaching it’s a good idea to log in and see what’s available and see if you need to adjust your group.    

HC: Which housing will be updated on campus in these coming months? What updates should we be looking forward to?

DCL: We’re going to do a lot of work in the Foster Mods this summer, which we’re really excited about. 

HC: If students are confused about the process for signing up for Room Selection through MyHousing, where should they go for clarification? 

DCL: They can call, email or come to DCL for clarification:

dcl@brandeis.edu

781/736-5060

Ground floor of Usdan from 9am – 5pm and while Room Selection is open.  We’ll be here all day Sunday (3/9 & 3/16)

HC: Where can students find statistics for the numbers last year in planning for room selection this year? 

DCL: The statistics are not currently on our website.

As room selection gets closer, take this advice from DCL: don’t worry, make backup plans, and go to DCL with questions or if you need help! Most importantly, don’t let housing stress you out! 

I am a Junior at Brandeis University who is passionate about writing and who loves surfing the web for useful articles and having fun doing what I like.