Rachel Liff ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Year: Sophomore (I was a Midyear!)

Major: Theater and English

Minor: Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies

Hometown: Bedford, New Hampshire

Her Campus: What are you involved with on campus? 

Rachel Liff: I’m in Voices of Soul, I am secretary for the Feminist Majority Leadership Alliance, I write for the arts section of The Justice, I am very involved in theater, I am an ambassador in Admissions, I am an Orientation Leader, I have worked in the Women’s Studies Research Center, and I am going to be a Theater UDR starting in the fall!

HC: Tell me about your experience in Voice of Soul? 

RL: I absolutely love being in Voices of Soul! I have been singing ever since I can remember and have always loved soulful music. I’m not planning to be a performer, so it’s nice to be able to just sing for fun.

HC: What has been your favorite part? Least favorite part?

RL: My favorite part is the people in the group. Everyone is so nice and relaxed, so it’s a great environment to be a part of. We have a lot of fun together! My least favorite part is balancing VoS with everything else. It can be hard to work on shows and be in an a cappella group at the same time, but it’s definitely worth it.

HC: Tell me about your experience with FMLA? 

RL: FMLA has been such an important part of my Brandeis experience. I have grown so much through my involvement and am endlessly inspired by the incredible people who participate in FMLA, especially my fellow e-board members. Feminism has always been important to me, but as I learn more about the movement and get educated about intersectional feminist issues it becomes the framework for pretty much everything I do.

HC: What about FMLA is most important to you? 

RL: I think FMLA does so many important things, but I am especially proud of the work we have done to raise awareness about sexual assault on college campuses. It is one of the most critical issues we address. This year’s Sexual Violence Awareness Week seemed to impact a lot of students and create a dialogue about rape culture at Brandeis and on college campuses in general.

HC: What is your role in admissions? 

RL: I have volunteered as a host and chatter in previous semesters, but am currently an ambassador/tour guide. I will also be working as an Admissions Assistant full-time this summer!

HC: What has been your favorite or most memorable memory while working there? 

RL: Last week, a couple of members of the Hairspray cast (a show that I’m assistant musical directing) sang to my tour. It was the cutest thing and the tour absolutely loved it!

HC: What made you want to get involved in the theatre department? 

RL: I’ve been acting in and working on shows since middle school, so I wanted to continue doing theater when I got to Brandeis. I was planning on completing a theater minor, but after being in a couple of really fun productions last fall and taking Theater as Performance, I changed my mind and my major.

HC: When did you become a UDR and what made you want to get more involved in that capacity? 

RL: I found out a few weeks ago that I’m going to be one of three theater UDRs starting next fall. I applied for the position because I’ve had great experiences in the department and would like to share my experiences with other students. I also want to get more students involved in department productions.

HC: What is one quirk about you that no one knows? 

RL: I have an irrational fear of moths.

Favorite: 

Movie: (500) Days of Summer

Celeb Crush: Tom Hiddleston or Aaron Tveit

Food: Garlic bread

Dream Vacation: Backpacking through Europe

Band: Mumford & Sons

I am a Junior at Brandeis University who is passionate about writing and who loves surfing the web for useful articles and having fun doing what I like.