Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Brandeis Blog

End of Semester Five Stages of Grief

By Emily Reich
April 9, 2014 - 10:57pm

The school year is coming to a close, and it can be hard to understand that emotional roller-coaster you must be riding! With a little help from the Five Stages of Grieving and everybody’s favorite queen, Beyoncé, we can understand all those emotions.  1. Denial It seems impossible that yesterday wasn’t late August and we were all moving in, ready to start a new year at the best university ever. Where did all the months go?!  2. Anger This is not fair. I didn’t pay tens of thousands of dollars for this short of a school year! Who decided to end the year in May? READ MORE

Herbs and Aromatics

By kmoranrd
April 7, 2014 - 12:16pm

In honor of National Garden week, this week's article is dedicated to Herbs and Aromatics. Jump into Spring, and enjoy some of these natural flavors! Adding herbs and aromatic vegetables to food and drinks can boost flavor while keeping calories, fat, sugar and sodium down. Mint in ice tea, lavender on grilled chicken and basil with strawberries are just a few tasty ideas! Making your own vegetable stock with veggies such as carrots, onion and celery is another flavor boosting basic. The options are endless, and they only increase if you have your own garden! If you don't have the space or time investment, try planting a few small pots with your favorites to get started. Enjoy! READ MORE

Spring Beauty Products

By Emily Reich
April 3, 2014 - 12:49am

With temperatures finally not dropping below a balmy 45 degrees, it's time to embrace all the best parts about the warmer weather. Get ready for studying outside, iced coffees, and flip-flops with this exposé of the best beauty products for spring! READ MORE

The Mix CD

By Sydney Westervelt
April 3, 2014 - 12:30am

In this day and age it seems hard to come by people who still appreciate a good old-fashioned mix CD. My friends and I love to make and exchange mixes, but in general, the mix CD is a dying art. It’s sad, because one of the best feelings you get is when someone gives you a mix! That physical CD, with a clever title, and maybe a cool design in sharpie markers, makes you feel all the feels because you know that person put time and effort into crafting the perfect combo of upbeat and not-so-upbeat tunes (that obviously have some sort of hidden message, too…duh!!). Personally, when I make a mix, I try to put a few songs on it that the intended listener probably knows, and then the rest are similar songs/artists. I always try to tell some sort of story....

National Nutrition Month

By kmoranrd
March 29, 2014 - 10:11am

It's the last week of National Nutrition Month! If you haven't taken the opportunity to make a nutrition goal for the month, it's never too late! As spring approaches what not a better time than now to reflect and think about the food you eat and how nutrition plays a role in your life. Think about it, everyone has a relationship with food, what does yours look like? Take a moment  READ MORE

Easy April Fools' Day Jokes

By Emily Reich
March 26, 2014 - 8:59pm

Arguably the best holiday in spring is coming up next Tuesday- April Fools’ Day! Here are some quick and easy pranks to pull on your friends that can be done right here on campus. Saran Wrapped Door:  This prank requires only two materials, and is great for pranking a friend or roommate! Make sure the person is in the room before you begin, and make sure they won’t leave while you’re in the middle of pranking them! (A good time would be when they are sleeping.) Materials: Saran wrap Tape Procedure: READ MORE

Bronstein Week Preview

By Chastity DeLorme
March 24, 2014 - 6:59pm

We sat down with the highly energetic Rita Tobias, Social Director of Student Events to get the ultimate lowdown on Bronstein Week starting this Sunday! Check. It. Out.     HC: What is your role during Bronstein Week? RT: I am the Social Director of Student Events. I oversee a team of three coordinators and together we plan the two themed weeks of the year, Louis Louis Week in the fall and Bronstein Week in the spring. READ MORE

Re-Kap of K-Night

By Amy Wu
March 23, 2014 - 10:56am

What a fabulous show! Last Saturday, Brandeis Korean Students Association (BKSA) hosted K-Nite, a celebration of the Korean culture on campus. All the performers were well prepared and all the acts were thrilling to watch! RECAP: The opening act by a guest performer, WONE, pleased the crowd with several songs, remixed and rapped in English and Korean. He ended with a popular song, Rocketeer by Far East Movement, engaging with the crowd to shout the word ‘fly’! READ MORE

2014 Senior Class Gift

By Chastity DeLorme
March 20, 2014 - 3:15pm

What? We have a senior gift? What is it? MONEY. That’s right, seniors don’t need to give the campus a fancy bench or a new set of speakers in the SCC. This year, like the seniors before them, they will be donating money to our campus. I sat down with one of the chairs of the Senior Gift Committee, Avi Fuld, to get the details on how graduating seniors can keep on giving even after commencement. How does this work? READ MORE

Going Gluten Free

By Emily Beker
March 14, 2014 - 7:01pm

Since going gluten free last week, I’ve discovered it isn’t half bad or as hard as I had expected. There are certainly foods I miss but I have picked up so many better eating habits and discovered I don’t need pasta or pizza to satisfy my hunger cravings. I’m still eating rice, my new favorite snack, Lara bars, are gluten free, I’m finding new delicious ways to make vegetables and I’m rediscovering my love for fresh fruit.   READ MORE