Passover Recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Each year right before Passover rolls around, I search the internet for delicious new recipes to try. While matzo pizza, matzo butter crunch, matzo brei, and macaroons are all standards in my house over the holiday; I do like to add some variety to my palette. Below are new recipes I found (and plan on making next week) along with some oldies but goodies. Bon appetite.

Legendary Matzo Buttercrunch

Ingredients:

• 4 to 6 unsalted matzos (preferably regular, but you can use egg as well)
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter or Passover margarine
  • 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
  • 3/4 cup coarsely chopped semisweet chocolate or chocolate chips
  • Toasted slivered almonds, for garnish

Directions:

1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Stack 2 jellyroll pans together and line them with foil, then with a sheet of parchment paper.
  2. Line the jellyroll pan with matzos as evenly as possible, cutting them into pieces to fill in any gaps.
  3. Heat the butter and brown sugar in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and bring to a medium boil for 2 to 4 minutes. Remove the mixture from the stove and pour it over the matzos.
  4. Put the jellyroll pan in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle the chocolate over the matzos. Let stand 5 minutes, then smear the top with a metal spatula to spread the chocolate. Garnish the buttercrunch with toasted slivered almonds if desired. Freeze until firm, an hour or less. Break the buttercrunch into pieces, squares or odd shapes to serve.

*Yes, this recipe does have the word legendary in the title and you’re probably thinking, hmm how legendary can matzo butter crunch be? Well let me tell you that this stuff is amazing! My mom has been making it for years…12 years to be exact and has made it every Passover since because it is such a hit among our family and friends. If you are looking for a dessert to bring to a seder that is easy to make and that will satisfy any sweet tooth then this is the perfect dessert to bring.  

Passover Cobbler

Ingredients:

• 3 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup kosher for Passover vegetable oil
  • 3/4 cup matzo meal
  • 2 tablespoon potato starch
  • 6 to 8 cups peeled and sliced fruit, like apples, pears, and strawberries
  • 1/8 cup cinnamon sugar

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil a 9 by 9-inch square baking pan.
  2. Beat eggs with sugar until well blended. Add the oil, matzo meal, potato starch, salt and blend well.
  3. Put all the fruit in the pan and sprinkle with most of the cinnamon sugar, reserving a little for the top. Spoon the batter over the fruit, covering as much of the fruit as you can. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
  4. Bake until the topping is set and just turning tan, about 45 minutes. Serve hot, warm or at room temperature.

Note: If you are concerned if the oils or other ingredients in these recipes are suitable for Passover, seek non-dairy substitutes or ingredients that are certified kosher for Passover.

Matzo Crusted Chicken Cutlets

Ingredients

• 1 large egg
  • 8 unsalted matzos, crushed (about 3 cups)
  • 2 teaspoons coarse salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • Safflower oil, for frying
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken cutlets (4 to 5 ounces each), 1/2 inch thick
  • 4 lemon wedges, for serving

Directions

1. Beat egg in a shallow dish. Mix crushed matzos, salt, and pepper in another shallow dish. Heat 1/2 inch of oil in a large cast-iron skillet until it registers 375 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer.
  2. Working with 1 at a time, dip cutlets into egg, then into matzo, pressing to adhere and coating both sides. Place 2 cutlets in skillet, and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to paper towels. Repeat with remaining 2 cutlets. Serve immediately with lemon wedges

Matzo S’Mores

Ingredients

• Matzo
  • Chocolate
  • Kosher for Passover Marshmallows, toasted under broiler

Directions

1. Break matzo into small squares.
  2. Drizzle melted chocolate on top, and refrigerate until set, about 5 minutes.
  3. Layer matzo squares with pieces of chocolate, marshmallows (toasted under broiler), and more matzo squares.
Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.