The Nine Emotions Experienced by Everyone Staying on Campus for Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

1. Pure joy that you don’t have to go to any classes for the next 168 hours!

2. That sinking feeling as you watch all your friends leave and you have to ask yourself: what am I going to do alone on campus? Where are my girlfriends? Where is everyone? What am I going to do with my life? I’m alone…

3. Liberation, when you realize that you don’t have to worry about waking up your roommate in the morning or being bothered by literally every single person who walks through the common room while you’re trying to study. I’m alone…

4. Anger at the fact that Sherman is THE ONLY FOOD AVAILABLE ON CAMPUS. And they aren’t even serving pizza.

5. Jealousy as people torment you with snapchats of their pets and their home cooked meals. All you really want is to curl up with your cat and snuggle up in your bed at home that doesn’t smell like ramen. But it’s fine, you’re fine, right…

6. But then you remember that this is the ideal time to claim that one perfect study spot that’s always crowded. You swear that when all your friends come back stressed, because they haven’t done anything, you’ll already be three weeks ahead in school work.

7. Frustration, but also acceptance, that you probably (definitely) won’t finish all of the studying you had planned on getting done.

8. Immediately being incredibly overwhelmed when everyone returns all at once and secretly wishing you were alone again.

9. But mostly just being happy to see all your friends again after a brief moment of fear that the apocalypse had actually taken place and everyone else on earth was dead except you

Emily Rae Foreman is a senior at Brandeis University studying Internationals and Global (IGS) studies with a double minor in Economics and Anthropology. She has been acting President of Her Campus Brandeis for two years, as well as a tour guide, an Undergraduate Department Representative for IGS, A writer for the Brandeis Politics Journal and Vice President of the Brandeis Society for International Affairs.