Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Brandeis Features

Fall Fest 2014 Preview

By Emily Beker
October 22, 2014 - 12:00pm

This year’s Fall Fest: Family Game Night is sending a lot of fun activities your way. Whether you are flying solo with your friends or your family is coming into town to visit, there will not be a dull moment. Early Registration begins Thursday at 5 PM in the SCC and continues until 9 PM! Registration continues Friday at 9 AM. Check out some  highlights from each day! The full schedule can be found here and the link for Brandeis Tickets can be found here. READ MORE

Introducing Rani Neutill: Brandeis' Sexual Assault Counselor

By Emily Beker
October 17, 2014 - 3:00pm

With sexual assault such a hot button topic on college campuses throughout the country at the moment, it is very exciting news that Brandeis has hired a temporary Sexual Assault counselor to fill the position until Sheila returns to campus. Rani Neutill, a recent part-time hire for the English department. She is teaching a class entitled, “Sex and Cinema.” She has taken an interim position as sexual assault counselor and sexual assault prevention educator. After receiving her PhD in Ethnic Studies, a more political based subject than English, from Berkley, Rani has worked at multiple institutions in multiple fields. READ MORE

Why I Am a Feminist

By Emily Reich
October 17, 2014 - 1:00pm

I don’t remember when I first learned about feminism. I don’t have some pivotal moment in which I realized that yes, I believe in this, and yes, this is what I stand for. I don’t know when I decided to call myself a feminist or when I decided to be so excited by that decision.      I do know the stereotypes and preconceptions of feminism. Stinky, hairy, man-hating, angry women. I know that many people believe feminism is the belief that women are better than men; that men are unworthy; that women believe men are incapable.      This is what feminism is to me. READ MORE

Busy Bodies, Small Spaces: Dorm Workouts 101

By Sydney Westervelt
October 17, 2014 - 9:30am

For some of us, busy schedules make it seem like there’s no time to pay attention to our exercise and food habits; after a while, that can really take a toll on both your body and mind. Remember that goal you had to avoid the freshman 15? Well, I had it, too, but alas, those 15 somehow made their way into my life. It’s difficult – especially during the winter – to maintain the motivation to lead a healthy lifestyle; you’re busy with homework, and also might not want to make that trip to the campus gym if it’s snowy and freezing. READ MORE

Breast Cancer Awareness Month

By Marian Siljeholm
October 17, 2014 - 9:00am

Founded in 1985 in a partnership between the American Cancer Society and several pharmaceutical corporations, National Breast Cancer Awareness Month (NBCAM) began with the aim of promoting mammography as the most effective weapon against breast cancer. It wasn’t until 1991 that the Susan G. Komen Foundation handed out pink ribbons (based off of the popular AIDS ribbons) to participants in its New York City breast cancer survivor race, that the symbol became synonymous with the cause. Since then the pink ribbon has become a global symbol of awareness. International landmarks including the Eiffel Tower, the Empire State Building, Sidney’s Harbor Bridge, Constantine's Arch in Rome have also been bathed in pink light during October....

Carpe DieM: A Brandeis Bucket List

By Emily Beker
October 10, 2014 - 4:27pm

This year marks the 5th year of the Brandeis Dance Marathon! Brandeis Dance Marathon raises money for the Children’s Hospital and the Miracle Network. The event will be taking place on January 25th from 2 PM – 10 PM. This year’s theme for the event is Carpe DM, which is a play on the Latin phrase Carpe Diem: Seize the Day. Brandeis Dance Marathon and Her Campus Brandeis are teaming up to celebrate the 100th day mark until the big day on October 17th! READ MORE

College Fashion Week 2014: Boston

By Amy Wu
October 10, 2014 - 11:19am

Her Campus College Fashion Week 2014 kicked off in Boston and has 3 more shows in NYC, Chicago, and San Francisco on upcoming Saturdays to continue their tour. This was my first year at CFW and it was fantastic! Some of my favorite things during the show included: READ MORE

Be An Upstander: Three Easy Steps

By Emily Reich
October 9, 2014 - 7:15pm

In the semi-dark haze of flashing lights and pounding music that is a frat house basement, many dangerous situations go unnoticed. Every year about 237,868 people are sexually assaulted, and two-thirds1 of these people previously knew their attacker. The fight to educate and end sexual assault is a community issue that requires the participation of each and every person to be won. Being an upstander means fighting for the safety of others any chance you get. It means doing something even when you think someone else will, doing what is in your power to keep someone safe, and knowing that you had an impact on someone’s life when you take action. Our frustration with the administration is valid and justified, but part of the fight against sexual assault is in...

Jennifer Lawrence: A Response and A Lesson

By Alisha Steindecker
October 9, 2014 - 2:30pm

The power of the media is real. At the end of August, almost 200 photos of celebrities, most of them nude and of women, were obtained and disseminated through the Internet by an incisive attack on Apple users’ account information. Many of those targeted have denied the legitimacy of the photos, including Ariana Grande, but others have confirmed them. After a long silence, Jennifer Lawrence’s recent response, in particular, to the scandal, or as she calls it, “sex crime,” is extremely powerful and serves as a reminder of the utter dominance of the media today – including over invasion of privacy, which is a constitutionally protected right. READ MORE

Group Halloween Costume Ideas

By Adriana Gleaton
October 3, 2014 - 5:36pm

Halloween is right around the corner! Here are some cool and fairly inexpensive group costume ideas.   This group costume is super quick and easy to make for a group of three. Just find some paper and draw whichever one you want to be, cut it out a voila! You have an awesome costume! READ MORE