Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Brandeis Features

Costumes to Avoid on Halloween

By Emily Reich, Adriana Gleaton
October 25, 2014 - 12:21am

Halloween is fast approaching and many of you may already have your costumes or have a fairly solid idea of what you are going to be. Here are a few costumes to avoid. READ MORE

Classic Halloween Movies

By Sara Cardenas
October 24, 2014 - 11:44pm

Everybody get excited because... Well, almost. Halloween is a week away, and with midterms (hopefully) past, its time to focus on everybody's favorite holiday. What better way to get in the spirit than watching a few Halloween classics?  Even though the days of trick-or-treating are long past us, it doesn’t mean that we can’t still enjoy our favorite childhood Halloween movies.  Get ready to binge watch, all these movies are on Netflix or Amazon instant! Hocus Pocus READ MORE

Breaking Out of the Brandeis Bubble: Halloween 2014

By Amy Wu
October 24, 2014 - 11:30am

Midterm season is in session and everyone is cramming in that last bit of knowledge. What you might not have realized though, is that Halloween is just a week from today! While there are some great events happening all over campus, CLICK HERE! there are some other spooktacular events happening off campus that you might be interested in: Thursday Oct 30th Time to begin the weekend celebrations! READ MORE

Halloween Treats

By Marian Siljeholm
October 24, 2014 - 9:20am

Just because you're a little old to trick or treat this Halloween, doesn’t mean your taste buds will have to sit out on the All Hallows’ Eve festivities. With a few easy Halloween recipes, anyone can turn simple ingredients (many of which can be found at the c-store, for those lucky ones with points to burn) into elaborate fall treats fit for any palate or party. Classic Fall Caramel Apples Ingredients: 6 large Granny Smith apples 6 wooden craft sticks 1 (14-ounce) bag caramels, unwrapped 1 tablespoon vanilla extract 1 tablespoon water 2 cups chopped pecans, toasted 1 (12-ounce) bag semisweet chocolate morsels Pecan halves (optional) Preparation: READ MORE

Fall Fest 2014 Preview

By Emily Beker
October 22, 2014 - 12:00pm

This year’s Fall Fest: Family Game Night is sending a lot of fun activities your way. Whether you are flying solo with your friends or your family is coming into town to visit, there will not be a dull moment. Early Registration begins Thursday at 5 PM in the SCC and continues until 9 PM! Registration continues Friday at 9 AM. Check out some  highlights from each day! The full schedule can be found here and the link for Brandeis Tickets can be found here. READ MORE

Introducing Rani Neutill: Brandeis' Sexual Assault Counselor

By Emily Beker
October 17, 2014 - 3:00pm

With sexual assault such a hot button topic on college campuses throughout the country at the moment, it is very exciting news that Brandeis has hired a temporary Sexual Assault counselor to fill the position until Sheila returns to campus. Rani Neutill, a recent part-time hire for the English department. She is teaching a class entitled, “Sex and Cinema.” She has taken an interim position as sexual assault counselor and sexual assault prevention educator. After receiving her PhD in Ethnic Studies, a more political based subject than English, from Berkley, Rani has worked at multiple institutions in multiple fields. READ MORE

Why I Am a Feminist

By Emily Reich
October 17, 2014 - 1:00pm

I don’t remember when I first learned about feminism. I don’t have some pivotal moment in which I realized that yes, I believe in this, and yes, this is what I stand for. I don’t know when I decided to call myself a feminist or when I decided to be so excited by that decision.      I do know the stereotypes and preconceptions of feminism. Stinky, hairy, man-hating, angry women. I know that many people believe feminism is the belief that women are better than men; that men are unworthy; that women believe men are incapable.      This is what feminism is to me. READ MORE

Busy Bodies, Small Spaces: Dorm Workouts 101

By Sydney Westervelt
October 17, 2014 - 9:30am

For some of us, busy schedules make it seem like there’s no time to pay attention to our exercise and food habits; after a while, that can really take a toll on both your body and mind. Remember that goal you had to avoid the freshman 15? Well, I had it, too, but alas, those 15 somehow made their way into my life. It’s difficult – especially during the winter – to maintain the motivation to lead a healthy lifestyle; you’re busy with homework, and also might not want to make that trip to the campus gym if it’s snowy and freezing. READ MORE

Breast Cancer Awareness Month

By Marian Siljeholm
October 17, 2014 - 9:00am

Founded in 1985 in a partnership between the American Cancer Society and several pharmaceutical corporations, National Breast Cancer Awareness Month (NBCAM) began with the aim of promoting mammography as the most effective weapon against breast cancer. It wasn’t until 1991 that the Susan G. Komen Foundation handed out pink ribbons (based off of the popular AIDS ribbons) to participants in its New York City breast cancer survivor race, that the symbol became synonymous with the cause. Since then the pink ribbon has become a global symbol of awareness. International landmarks including the Eiffel Tower, the Empire State Building, Sidney’s Harbor Bridge, Constantine's Arch in Rome have also been bathed in pink light during October....

Carpe DieM: A Brandeis Bucket List

By Emily Beker
October 10, 2014 - 4:27pm

This year marks the 5th year of the Brandeis Dance Marathon! Brandeis Dance Marathon raises money for the Children’s Hospital and the Miracle Network. The event will be taking place on January 25th from 2 PM – 10 PM. This year’s theme for the event is Carpe DM, which is a play on the Latin phrase Carpe Diem: Seize the Day. Brandeis Dance Marathon and Her Campus Brandeis are teaming up to celebrate the 100th day mark until the big day on October 17th! READ MORE