Michael Arguello ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

While going to the gym for a workout last week, I just so happened to run into fellow tennis player Michael Arguello. This particular freshman just so happens to be the definition of what we consider to be a “Campus Cutie” in every sense of the term. Arguello answered all of my questions on our impromptu workout/hitting session, which he so graciously invited me to. So please read on and learn what exactly makes this guy a “Campus Cutie.”

Age: Almost 19

Height: 5’10

Majors: Business and Psychology

Fast Facts:

Favorite Color: Blue

Favorite Movie: White Chicks

Single or Taken: It’s Complicated

Boxers or Briefs: Boxers for life

Perfect Date: Something sweet and simple like going out to dinner or staying in to watch a funny movie. 

Celebrity Crush: Beyoncé

Favorite team: Tennessee Titans

Tennis Talk:

Why did you choose to come to Brandeis?

It was actually the combination of athletics, academics, and the thriving social life that Brandeis has to offer.

What is the dynamic between the five freshmen on the team?

It’s definitely nice having a big recruiting class coming in because I know I am able to work hard and train with these guys for the next four years.

What’s your favorite part about being on the team?

Having the opportunity to share this experience with a great group of guys.

Two words: Ben Lamanna. Thoughts?

Awesome guy, awesome coach. He knows what he’s talking about.

So your official season started this week! How do you feel?

I’m extremely excited. This is my first college season and hopefully we will start off with good matches.

Who has the best singing voice on the team?

Kris Labovitch. He sang the national anthem to us one time and it was absolutely breathtaking.

What has surprised you the most while being on the tennis team?

The amount of work we put in each day. We definitely do a lot of work then I originally expected but I like the challenge.

What is it like sharing a coach with the Women’s team?

Coach does a really good job with giving each team a lot of time. I forget that we have the same coach. I think it’s really awesome that we cheer each other on at matches and it makes us closer as a team.

How has it been having everyone back from abroad?

I enjoy having them back. The team feels more complete. Now that everyone is back we can work on our goals for the team.

What is it like being led by the senior captain Adam Brown?

Downtown Adam Brown is a really good captain. He really cares about the team and our success. He is a role model for future captains on the team.

Would you say it’s fairly easy to get caught up in the tennis/athlete bubble?

I do not only hang out with athletes. Having friends all around campus is the most important thing. You can’t limit yourself to a certain group of people because you’re not getting the full college experience.

It seems as though the majority of your class may be in the starting line up?

We got a good recruiting class in but it’s not like we are better than the others. Our team is very even. And the line up changes every match so none of us depend on that. We focus on improving rather who’s starting.

Who would you say is your “Big” on the team?

Danny Lubarsky

Deis Life

Okay time to get serious… If you could say anything to Louie Brandeis right now what would it be?

Seeing how I preach to Louie on the daily, I would just thank him for just being himself.

Sherman or Usdan?

Sherman all day

Nightlife at Brandeis?

I enjoy the nightlife. It’s not a party school and I didn’t want to go to a party school. It’s very laid back and that’s what I enjoy.

Any final thoughts…

It would really be great to see my friends and fellow athletes come out to home matches! We only have a few home matches this season so any support would mean so much. 

Repping the 305. From Miami to Boston. Likes: House music, Tuna Fish, Rom Coms, Sunshine Dislikes: Track, Roller coasters, Snakes
Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.